KIDS WITH AUTISM ....... UNFAIR PEOPLE ?

i dont know how many of you may agree with me on this but , here it is :

i think that kids with autism were taken more seriously and the illness is more talked about ever since JHON TRAVOLTA'S SON DIED (R.I.P) i mean , my point is , is wonderful that now , the help to make autism easier on kids has finally arrived , but to me , is sad that it took a celebrity to make that happen , and for his son to die , cuz lets face it , if he hadnt died , autism wouldnt be as talked about , s it has been ever since tragedy striked travolta .

it makes me sad , that people are ignoring others' pain and daily difficulties , if someone has the cure for other person's sickeness , why not give it to them ?

i mean , i know that we all have a life of our own , but helping others dont hurt us !

do you agree with my comment of autism being more "popular and existant " now after what happened to the travoltas's family , or is it my ima

happymom1988

Asked by happymom1988 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• pr is it my imagination ?
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Nope. I think many people learned about Autism from Jenny McCarthy. I didn't know anything about John Travolta's son and still don't. People have known about the illness and they are paying attention to it. Especially with the vaccine debate so hot right now.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Its definitely more publicized.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I think we hear more about it now cuz of all the debates going on with vaccines.
    Anonymous

• Wow people where unaware of this? I haven't noticed more talk about it because of Jenny Mcarthy or Jet Travolta. I think that it affects people more greatly of they have someone close to them who has it. There is not debate about if vaccine cause it experts say it has no causation factor but ignorant people can say whatever they want and do and sadly people believe this.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I don't think so. There has been a lot of publicity the last few years because of the increase in incidence of autism.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• As a mom of a child with Autism, I think that most of the Autism Awareness publicity is due to the increasing number of children diagnosed. Yes, some of the celebrities have put their faces out there and spoke up on Autism, and the impact it has had on their family (Holly Robinson-Peete, Jenny MC, Doug Flutie......). As for Jett Travolta his parents kept his life private and were not 'spokespeople' for Autism (like other celeb parents).. I do belive Jett had Kawasaki syndrome and not autism.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so, either. I think there's been a lot of talk and debate about autism long before John Travolta's son died.

For example, I remember doing a Walk far for NAAR (which does research on autism), one where there were literally thousands of people, and where they raised literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, yrs and yrs before the Travoltas' son died.

But I don't think that having a celebrity go through it has hurt the cause so to speak (NOT saying that I think it's a good thing that their child was autistic or that he died).

Look at it like this - Gilda Radner drew attention to women's cancer issues. Tina Turner drew attention to domestic violence, etc...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I agree as a parent of two on the specturm that is it more public now.

wowguildmomma

Answer by wowguildmomma at 11:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Autism is widely talked about already. John Travolta maintains his son did not have autism. Jenny McCarthy is simply a mom speaking out, not an expert, but all the same I am thankful for her to speak up.
    I don't understand what your question really is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2009