if I just give my daughter milk.

out of no where will it make them sick? shes 11 months old.

RachelSutfin

Asked by RachelSutfin at 11:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• probably not... you mean just once for now or switching her over cold turkey?.... either way it is probably fine
    Marcia9043

Answer by Marcia9043 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• nah, i believe that is what i did.. for the life of me i cant remember?? but i think i finished a can of formula and switched to milk in a sippy.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Babies are not able to process cow's milk easily. From 6 months to 12 months they transition from formula to increasing amounts of food. By 12 months they don't have to have cow's milk at all.

Giving your baby cow's milk before 12 months you run the risk of your baby having kidney or other organ failure. If you can't afford formula, no milk at all would be better than giving your baby cow's milk. There are many ways of getting free formula.

You could even get breastmilk for your baby through the website MilkShare. There would be breastfeeding moms who would rather give you milk than have you risk your baby's life by giving cow's milk. Of course you could still breastfeed. Even adoptive moms can breastfeed babies. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for the first 2 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I think its trial and error. my little one started with milk right around a year, and he took to it just fine. i think we kind of went back and forth. milk, formula, milk, etc. but he never had a problem with it. but if you think your baby isnt handling it well, then just continue with formula. there are plenty of brands that have formulas for older babies.
    jewels912

Answer by jewels912 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Enough with your stupid Anti-milk crusade! Why must you go from post to post spewing this crap? You do realize that no one listens to you, right? Just because you say some crap about milk, the mother isn't going to say "Well, since Gailll said .....blah blah blah"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• wow, never heard of having KIDNEY FAILURE from milk! thats a little overkill I think. It CAN cause an upset tummy at first, if you can, try giving half formula and half milk in a sippy cup. then gradually increase the milk and decrease the formula over about a 3 or 4 day span. That should help baby get used to it without causing too much tummy issues.
    RVTMommy

Answer by RVTMommy at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My mom gave me cow's milk at 6months & I'm perfectly fine...but then again I was only breastfed for a week until I got yeast in my mouth & wouldn't eat...then I got formula but it all made me sick even soy...then I got goat's milk at 2 months until she switched to cow's at 6months because it was cheaper. Not sure if any of that is relevant, but it might be idk. I'd say ask your baby's doctor & go with your gut.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• She'll probably be just fine. Any poops from the milk may be weird, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Gailll... my 7mo keeps stealing big brother (22 mo) sippy - with chocolate milk in it... he likes it better than juice, or his formula. Its weird, DS2 (the toddler) wouldnt take a sippy (still prefers a bottle if I let him) and REFUSED to drink milk...we finally weaned him off of formula at 20 mos - the only way he will drink milk is with a lil flavor in it... now here I have a child thats really not ready for milk (age wise) and he loves it. Oh well... (and guess what? DS3 hasnt had any kind of organ failure from getting a little milk.)

So... OP - go ahead and try her on the milk. If she doesnt like it, she doesnt like it, and you can try again later... but she's definitely ready for it.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• no thats fine. i started introducing milk at 1 1mts ro my dd she is good.

DONT LISTEN TO GAILL THAT WOMAN IS NOTHING BUT A CRAZY LADY WHO HAS NO LIFE OR ANYTHING SMART TO SAY.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2009