I am trying to raise my daughter vegan, is anyone else doing this or along the same lines?

CortneyS.

Asked by CortneyS. at 11:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Nope. I am too much of a steak lover to not eat any meat. My son would protest big time if I took away the foods he likes to give him foods he can't stand. Good luck though, I really can't help you though. I am sure there are groups on here for Vegan moms that may be able to really help you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• We are vegan-leaning vegetarians.

Here are some great links on veg nutrition for kids:

•·         http://www.pcrm.org/news/release090402.html

•·         http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_infant_nutrition/complete_nutrition.html

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• We aren't, but...
    My advice is make sure you understand your child's nutritional needs. I'm a ped's nurse and we had a child who's parents were trying to raise him vegan as well but they didn't know what they were doing and he was very malnourished because they weren't giving him the right foods... his hair was like cotton candy, skin was dry and he was pale and sick.
    We have had other children in who's parents "know" what they are doing and they are healthy and thriving.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Why?
    Did she say to you "mommy, I want to be a vegan?"
    hmmm.....it's always about control isn't it. Right down to controlling everything they put into their own mouths. Let the children get to an age themselves when they can decide they want to be vegan or a happy meat eater.
    What other decisions are you making for your child? I'm curious. My children were born with brains that I let them use to make their own decisions.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2009

• "Why?
    What other decisions are you making for your child? I'm curious. My children were born with brains that I let them use to make their own decisions. "

That's just silly. So she should force the kid to eat animal products even though the rest of the family doesn't just so they can make thier own descision later?? How about the kid eats what the family eats until they are old enough to choose for themselves, then they can descide to start eating meat if they want to??
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2009

• Really jewjewbee, you never make decisions for your kids? If they wanted to just eat candy all day long that would be fine with you? Good parents make sure their kids eat a healthy diet.

My family is vegan and we're all healthy. My son's diet is far better than a typical preschooler, he loves most veggies and choose whole grains over refined carbs 90% of the time e.g. if we're out and he's choosing a bagel he'll almost always ask for multi-grain and he loves bran muffins. There are tons of books out there. One of my favorites is 'better than peanut butter and jelly' which is a cookbook, about 50% vegan and 90% veganizable using products like soy cheese. Check out vegfamily.net too. The forums are kinda slow but there have some good links and such there.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2009

• Hippies.

Meat was put here for us to eat.

Your all a bunch of plant-murderes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 20, 2009