Would you induce if you were in my position?

So my doctor is concerned about my babies size, two weeks ago he was 5 pounds and yesterday she was guessing he was around 6 1/2 pounds, I still have 5 weeks til I am due so he will still get alot bigger. My DD was 7 lbs 5 oz. and with her I was cut twice and tore ALL the way, so my doctor is having concerns about the size of this baby and is thinking of inducing me at 38 weeks (3 weeks from today), if he continues to grow at this rate, also my nephew was almost 10 pounds and this is what she is trying to avoid. My question is, how will this effect him being two weeks early? Im still not sure this is something that I am comfortable with right now, just because I dont know how well his lungs will be developed. What do you all think? I know that if we dont induce early the odds of me needing a c-section are extremely high, and I dont want that either...what would you guys do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if he is that big then i highly doubt taking him out in 3 weeks will harm your baby everything should be ok an for you i would be induced its more tough on us mommas like yourself an me to carry a big baby all the way to 40 an that they come at 40 my son didnt an he was almost 10 pounds an i had a c section went through all the pain an layboring but in the end just too big wouldnt fit i suggest you get induced benafits you an your baby an plus you can plan on everything since you know when he will arive good luck !
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My son was 9.2. Your baby would be full term at 38 weeks. However, there is a chance he will come on his own. Inductions increase your chances of having a c-section and I'm sure your doctor hasn't told you that or about the risks of c-sections. I wouldn't induce no matter how big my baby would be. Your baby could stop growing since the baby grows fast during the last couple of weeks and then slows down.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The odds are high for a cesarean if you hire a care provider that doesn't respect the physiological process of childbirth.

There is nothing wrong with growing a "big" baby unless your doctor instills an unnecessary doubt.
    Other care providers can boost your confidence by helping you appreciate the facts and helping you understand that your risks lie in unnecessary induction.

To answer your question, no~ I would never induce based on a guesstimate. And there is nothing wrong with birthing a "larger-sized" baby, anyways. My easiest birth was my (largest) 10-pounder, not even a tear like in the past.
    When I got better educated, I learned that moms who have episiotomies have a much greater chance for tearing, too. Glad to have avoided that! ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• No I would not let them induce me.

Tearing has more to do with delivery position and skill of the person catching the baby than the size of the baby. The typical position on your tailbone with your legs pulled back is the best way to tear. Other positions like being on your left side decreases the chance of tearing. The person catching the baby can use oil, stretch the skin, and control the speed the head and shoulders deliver.

I would be having my baby at home or in a birth center with a midwife. If I had to go to a hospital I would try to have a CNM. If I couldn't I would hire a Doula.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• 7 lb 5 oz is NOT that big honey. Really. My neighbor's daughter just had a 10 lb. baby & she is a tiny girl. Also doctors are nitoriously wrong about the weight of babies. they can only guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Doctors drive me crazy... they seem to forget that having big babies is perfectly normal and natural. And when they say the weight of the baby they are just guessing anyways. It is usually wrong. At 35 weeks the baby should be between 5-6 pounds anyways and gain about half a pound a week. I would not induce. Inductions increase the risk for complications which lead to c-sections. Just let nature take her course.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• the doctors said my daughter was going to be HUGE! she was 7lbs 7oz. they arent aways right.. IMO babies come out when they are ready.. i wouldnt get induced. You will heal.. :-)
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Careful...they arent always right. I would NOT induce. My son was supposedly going to be huge and when I refused to induce, he came almost 2 weeks late at a whopping 7 lbs 9.6 oz. ....which is not larger than average.
    I am pleased with my choice.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My third DD was born 2 weeks before her due date and did just fine. She was 7# 1 oz at birth. She was my tiny one!! (She dropped down to 6# 8 oz, making her seem REALLY tiny compared to her sisters!)

My first DD was born at 39 weeks and weighed 7# 15.5 oz. My second was 11 days early and was 7 # 15.8 oz. It all depends on the baby.

Full term is considered to be anytime between 38 and 42 weeks. Your baby would be fine at 38 weeks. However, the C-section rate of an early induction is higher. I'd just hold out, if I were in your position.

And you shouldn't tear that badly this time, since your body has already done this before. Your tissue should be more pliable and stretchable. I was cut with the first two and had stitches (more with the first than the second), and didn't have any with the third.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Inducing before your body is ready increases your risk of needing a c section more than just have a "big" baby. I'd wait. Your doctor is just guessing anyway. They have been known to be off by several pounds!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2009