Family Drama....

Sooo thanksgiving started out great. We usually have a pretty laid back TG. We serve ourselves and then sit wherever we want. Outside, inside, living room, dining room.... It's a free for all. There are usually up to about 30 people so youre with family wherever you go. This year My Snooty patooty Aunt invited 2 of her friends so she made it a sit down dinner to try and impress them. Instead of heavy duty paper plates and cups we used the china. I mean it was crazy, but we were all gonna do it for her. Well my cousin(30) has this issue with my little sister(13). I have no idea why. No one does really? Well dinner hadn;t been served yet and my sis had a book. My cousin started yelling at her to shut the book it was rude. My Mom said she is fine leave her alone. Then my cousin started screaming at my Mom. "Im sick of you not disciplining your kid" yadda yadda. My Mom says "Discipline her for what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What is she doing wrong?” My cousin says “ she shouldn’t have the book open its rude make her put it away” My Mom says “I don’t talk to your kids that way don’t talk to mine that way and don’t speak to me that way because Im your elder” then my cousin starts screaming at her. The whole time EVERYONE is telling her to stop but she wont. My sister starts bawling… So My Mom is like eff this and leaves. Well I go outside cause My Grandmother wont let me and DH leave. So I go outside with my uncle and other cousins.
    Anonymous

• When I come back in for dinner my cousin is still sulking away in the corner not eating or anything. My other cousin.. Her brother says “You won she left get over it!” and she flipped out and started cussing and all kinds of nonsense. She was screaming at the top of her lungs at everyone and crying “You all say what I did was right but you tell me to stop at the same time!” then she ran out of the house and took off upsetting her own kids. Then of course im confused at how they’re telling her she is right when my sis only had a book? What is so bad about that? Dinner wasn’t even ready yet? Now everyone is fighting and crazy. Im 9 months pregnant and it stresses me out. What would you have done? The whole time after they were making it seem like it was my moms fault?
    Anonymous

• OMG, that sounds like a movie!
    Anonymous

• And this took place at what trailer park??
    Anonymous

• Technically, it is rude to read at the table. HOWEVER, if dinner wasn't being served yet, and nobody else was there, then it's not nearly as big a deal (btw, I read sitting at my table all the time, not during meals with others though.)

Also, and this is the bigger HOWEVER here, since there wasn't any harm being done to anyone or anything, it was MORE rude for your cousin to discipline your sister. Now, if your sister was, say, stabbing someone with a fork or something, that would be a different matter. Reading a book isn't harming anyone.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• cont

Frankly, your cousin, the one that was screaming, should have been asked to leave. Also, if you wanted to leave, then you had every right to leave, whether your grandmother wanted you to or not. I'm NOT saying be disrespectful to your g-ma. Just that you should have said "grandma, I love you, but I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable staying where my young sister and my mother are being attacked." Then leave.

As far as why they were making it out to be your mom's fault - that's easy. Your cousin is an over reacting drama queen who I wouldn't be surprised to hear causes issues and problems and drama with a lot of your family (or has at one time or another), and everyone knows how she is - she wasn't going to "let it go", and she was there and your mom wasn't, so they were trying to calm the situation down and "humor her" before Thanksgiving was ruined even more.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Yea it sounds like they where agreeing with her so she would shut the hell up. My god who screams and acts that way at TG. I say you and your sis and mom did nothing wrong from what I am seeing
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Your cousin should have been stood up against by other members of the family who should have told her to sit down and shut up. She caused the whole damn scene and she should be the one ostracized, not your mom.
    If I was your mom, I would have done the same damn thing. There is no way anyone is going to tell my kids what to do and then tell me how to be a parent to them. I'll surely put them in their place right away.
    There is nothing wrong with having a book at the table in a family atmosphere when the meal hadn't even been served yet.

Ah, the peaceful days of holidays! :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Wow, what was she reading? It would have to be something like "The Fully Illustrated Slut's Guide to Sluttiness" or something for it to be rude. What happened to loving the fact that a teenager is willingly reading a book?!

Your cousin clearly has an issue and over reacted like crazy. Sorry she ruined Thanksgiving.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2009