What is appropriate at Thanksgiving

It seems I picked a good holiday to be sick as I got hammered with calls this afternoon over the fight after dinner. My sister and her new husband went to the dinner and it seems that afterwards the whole family except her and her dh got sat down for a cooking lesson on making tortilla's. Her DH was sitting in the Living room and she was nursing her 4 day old baby. Apparently my stepdad tried to tell my BIL to get in the kitchen to learn with everyone else and he said no. So my step dad freaked started yelling at how my BIL was a lazy _______. Anyhow he grabbed up my sis and the babies and they left. Them my mom calls freaking out at how awful it was of my BIL to not "humor" my stepdad and how he "made" my sis leave. Right after my sis calls to laugh at how wack my stepdad is ( neither of us like him) and she asked is it right to for one hold a "cooking" lesson in the middle of a holiday thing without telling anyone prior?

wowguildmomma

Asked by wowguildmomma at 12:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I want to know what a 4 day old baby is doing at a family gathering. New babies do not have a working immune system and shouldn't be around groups of people even if they are nursing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• New borns have a better ammune system now than they ever will...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• hmm. seems to got off subject already?

I honestly think, why couldnt your BIL just "humor" him.... everyone else did and I am sure not all of them "planned" on it either.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• A 4 day old baby is just fine at a family gathering. Always some dumb anon with something dumb to say.

I don't know. It would probably annoy me. What do tortillas have to do with Thanksgiving? lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• So....NOWHERE in the question was anyone asked for input on the baby. Nowhere.
    To answer the question that is actually there, not the one that was imagined :)...I think the cooking lesson was a bit strange, especially tortillas, but I agree with the response that BIL could have humored him, if he was asked nicely.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 12:50 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Infants do not have immune globulin G (IgG) and can't make it. They don't get it from breastmilk. It is what fights off serious infections like pneumonia and menningitis. In cold, flu, and RSV season a newborn should not be in public for 6-8 weeks and then with caution.

I know way too much about life without IgG. My children, grandson and I all have a genetic immune deficiency disease that includes IgG deficiency. I have to get IgG IV infusions every 3 weeks to stay alive. It costs $20,000+ for each IV, it's that important to have IgG. Even with IVs I can't go to church, movies, shop when people are around, be around most kids, ect. My children couldn't go to school.

Artificially fed babies need to be treated with more care. They have more infections, hospitalizations, and a higher death rate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Honestly, I think both of them were wrong.

There's nothing wrong with having an impromptu cooking lesson on a holiday, IF the person teaching and the people learning want to do it. ( I do it all the time, I'm in there cooking, we have company, whether it's a holiday or not, and people want to know how to make this or that, and I show them. Or, they're making something and I want to learn how, so they show me...)

But, it was rude of your step father to try to force him, like he "HAD" to learn how to make these, and it was pretty anti social of your brother in law to just sit there alone rather than participate in what was going on with the other guests.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• cont

However, from the sounds of it (where you say that neither of you really like your step dad), that it was about the tortillas on the surface, but it was really more about him (the step dad) trying to establish that "he's the boss" and maybe he doesn't like things your brother in law is or isn't doing (whether it's fair or not). Also, that your brother in law was trying to prove a point that "he's not the boss of me, and I don't have to do anything he says..."

As far as "making" your sister leave - your sister needs to talk to your mom about "their husbands"... She needs to say that she understands that she (mom) wants to stand by her dh (stepdad) in this, because that's her husband, she needs to respect that she (your sis) feels the same way about HER dh (bil).... That she loves mom and wants a relationship with her, but that if he (step dad) screams at either of them like that, they will be leaving....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Gailll, just because you have a immune system problem doesn't mean everyone does. For most people, hiding in the house for 6-8 weeks is impossible and being with a few family members is NOT in public. Hell, the baby spends the first 4-5 days of its life in the HOSPITAL, I think it can handle going to grandmas. You say the most ridiculous things. Stop trying "educate" people with your nonsense all the time>>>no one is listening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Gailll, if you're not going to answer the question, please say nothing at all. Thanks, and your advice means diddly squat. It's not even her kid that you're preaching about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2009