Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Ok i have a 10month old baby and his father is ridiculous. His house is discusting they have like 15 cats inside and out of the house crap everywhere theres like 8 ppl live in his house(family) and the house is NOT baby proof its discusting there it stinks smells like cats. I DO NOT want my baby in that inviroment! he's threatning to take him from me we are not married. I live in oklahoma. Can he do that without my say so!? This is such a disaster! I dont know what to do because i dont want my child there i heard that if your not married the mother gets full custody until proven in court..Does anyone have in info/advice for me?? Please help!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (3)
  • yeah i think you would have assumed full physical custoday. if heis on the birth cert. then he might have half legal custoday, but probably not. you need to call a family lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • you said BF, so you're not married - he has no legal right to just automatically take your child. If his name is on the birth cert (or he gets a positive DNA match) then he can take you to court... that's when you take witnesses, pictures etc of his living conditions, tell the judge that you dont want your child in that kind of environment and that you have been the sole provider for said child for *such amount of time*. No judge in their right mind will give the dad custody in that situation, and if they do grant visitation, you can request that it be somewhere besides his home (for the safety of your child), or supervised... the bonus to that is if he gets visitation, then you (should) get CS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • Yeah he can do that. If you aren't married and there is no court order giving you full custody then you both would have equal custody. I had to take my kids father to court to change that. I hired a paralegal to do the paperwork and represented myself. If you can't afford an attorney then contact your local Legal Aid services for advice...

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.