should we all baptism our childrens?

My daughter was born at 31 weeks and my boyfriends mom wanted me to baptism her in case she dont make it. She wanted her to be bless so she could go to heaven. I was very upset the thought that she believe my daughter wouldnt make it. My son is 1 years old and I still havent baptism him. I do believe in it, but my boyfriend and I feel we should left our children choose if they wanted to be apart of it. I know they are young and wont understand. Thats why I want to wait and let them tell me if this is something they want to do. Should all children be baptism? How do yall feel about this?

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 3:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Her thinking is very old school. I don't know if she is Catholic or not, but the Catholic Church's stance on this has changed somewhat. First, babies are innocent and if they die before baptized it is hard to believe that a loving God would condemn them. Second, Baptism is a covenant or a promise to raise your child with faith in God and a rejection of selfishness. If that is not your intention then it doesn't really make sense to do it. I was never baptized as a child, but as an adult I converted and was baptized knowing full well what I was entering into. I really did mean a lot to me, and I see what you are saying when you say that you want your child to make that choice when they are aware. So really, the baptism is more about you and your intentions and if you plan on raising the child within the Church or not.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You need to decide if there is a particular religion you want to be part of with your son. Your son won't be able to decide for himself until he is an adult and even then people struggle with religion. If you want your son baptised find a church you are comfortable with and start attending learn about the religion and help pass your beliefs on to your son.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• While you children are still unable to make a fully informed conscieous decision on their faith or commit to it lifelong, they come under your spiritual protection and are totally your responsibility. There is no scriptural need to baptise your children.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 7:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Parent have no idea what it does to a child when they impose their own religious beliefs, and expects a child to follow. At some point the child should be able to decide, but unfortunately parents curse anything else.

my point...let the child decide for herself when she is old enough. Dipping her in water in front of a lot of ppl wont change the fact that she is innocent and WITHOUT SIN.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Just tell her you can't baptize a child anyway because they can't make that decision until they're much older.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• no
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• None of my three children have been baptised. I said personal blessing prayers over them while we were still at the hospital (just asking the gods and their angels and guides to watch over and protect them), but there was no big family get together or anything. My husband and I are with you. We don't feel that we should "commit" our kids to any one religion until they are old enough to decide for themselves.
    As far as your mom is concerned, tell her that you don't want to do that. And most religions anymore believe that children are born innocent anyway. So, either way, if something terrible does happen (which I will pray doesn't), then the child is covered anyway,
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• no matter what you decide to do, you are the parent, and how you raise/teach your child should and is only your/dh's decision. what another family member desires for your child should be of no consequence.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Nope
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Infant baptism is not magic - it's done based on the faith of the parents if the parents plan to raise the children in that Christian faith. Baptism is the start of the process, so if parent's aren't going to help their children on that journey it makes no sense to do it. It is not "forcing" a religion on someone - the child will make their own decisions later whether or not they're baptized. But if parents believe their faith is true, of course they're going to want to share it with them.

God's grace is a free gift - we don't have to earn it. Baptism is something God does for us, not something we do for God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2009