what flea repellent for cat?

unfortunately we cant afford advantage or the other one right now. I have sergeants flea shampoo and washed my cat last week, I didnt see any fleas wash off which didnt mean he had no fleas, but the shampoo sucked (he definately has fleas). we have a hartz foam but it also doesnt do well. I have heard about applying baby oil and washing it off with dawn soap then use a flea comb...anyone try that? did it do the trick? I always vacuum the floors including the furniture and wash what my cat comes into contact with!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 7:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I had super major flea problems last year. I tried the shampoo, which ony worked for the first couple times and then the fleas got immune to it. We tried so many products, and the fleas became immune to each one, that we developed super fleas. Not a good thing. Nothing we tried (dawn soap, salt on carpets, sprays, shampoos, drops, collars) got rid of them. Finally I just had to save up and buy advantage. Sorry, but thats what it comes to. Its pricey, but $46 for 4 doses (1 a month) from 1800petmeds.com, with free shipping.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:12 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Do not use any over the counter flea products on your cat especially hartz!!!!! I can't tell you how many cats i have seen come into my clinic over the years that has had it applied. If they are lucky it has just caused neurological issues but in a lot of the cases it causes death. Call your vet and see if they sell the advantage or other flea products in singles. If they do you may find that more affordable buying it monthly. If not call around if you find one you will have to establish yourself at that vet but after they see your records they should be able to sell it to you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• my vet has advantage single doses that last a month and are only $15....
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Advantage made all the difference for us. We used powders and sprays and had the cats bathed and dipped, nothing. Advantage worked right away, and after maybe 6 months we didn't even have to use that. Our cats are inside only cats.

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• The over the counter flea med snot only are a waste of money but they can be harmful to a cat. I have no idea why that stuff isstill on the market! It can literally give some cats seizures! (I am sure you didn't know- I'm not bashing) I would suggest that if you can't afford to buy a full 3 or 6 month supply of advantage form your vet ask about buying it one month at a time. Some vets will do this. It may cost you more in the long run but it will keep your cat flea free and safe from the harmful OTC stuff.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Flea baths and dips are great for killing fleas that are on the animal, but they only kill the adults and they only work when you bathe the cat. There is no lasting effect. Adult fleas are only a small percent of a flea population in the home. As some others mentioned, over the counter flea meds can be very toxic to cats (and harmful to dogs too). I've seen cats that have died and had serious neurological problems at one of the pet hospitals I worked at from over the counter topical meds.

Your best bet is to use Frontline or Advantage. Both products work great at killing adult fleas, eggs, and larva which hide around the house in huge numbers. They both are applied topically and last for a month. Some vets will sell it in single doses. For more bang for your buck, Revolution is also a topical medication that is a heartworm preventative too. It also kills adult fleas and costs about the same. You need a vet exam for it though.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I am sorry but if you have a cat you need to pay the price.. Front line plus for cats is the best!! it is $43 for a 6 month supply on amazon. but if you have ebay you can get a 12 month supply for like $25. what you get is the frontline plus in a tube and there is enough treatment for 12 months once opened you need to put it a glass contaner provided. Go to ebay sreach frontline plus there are many site, you need paypal. also vaccuming doesn't help fleas JUMP!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2009