Do you know anything about colors? My husband and i are arguing, and i don't know who's right.

So we bought my son a teach my toddler kit, and for colors, it has, red, blue, yellow, green brown, blue, orange, pink, and gray. And i wondered why it had pink and gray instead of black and white. I preceeded to say that black is a shade, not a color, that it is a REALLY dark shade of blue, maybe thats why. And my husband said, no color is about the light reflecting off something, so because my son's duck is yellow all the colors are reflecting off it, except the color yellow, which makes it yellow, and for black all the colors are getting sucked into that object which is why it is black. Has anyone ever heard this? Does anyone know anything about colors? This may sounds stupid, but if i'm going to explain colors to my kid in the future i want it to be right. Thanks!

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 8:50 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have heard what your husband said. That if something is black it is because no color is reflecting off of it, all the colors are sucked in. If something is white it is because all the light is reflecting off of it. This also makes sense why when you wear black in the sun you are hotter, because it is absorbing all of the light/heat.
    I don't know why black and white are not part of the kit though, I teach and we teach toddlers black and white as well as pink and gray (if they are ready to move on from the basic colors).
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 9:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Your husband has the right idea, but I am pretty sure the reason it is yellow is because the yellow color is reflecting OFF and the other colors are being absorbed. Hmmmm. Now I . Going to have to look that up!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Your husband is absolutely correct. My mom was an art teacher and I know a lot about colors. He is right. And a white object is while because all colors are reflected and nothing gets sucked into that object so it has no color- white.
    Kristinejs

Answer by Kristinejs at 9:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Yup. Scientifically, black is the absorbtion of all of the colors, White reflects them all. Yellow, as used in the example, means that all of the colors are absorbed except yellow, which reflects back at the viewer. Your husband has the right idea, he just has it backwards.

Why that would affect the colors they put in a toddler's teaching colors kit, I have no idea.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• thanks ladies! Maybe i need to take an art class! Good toknow i hadn't told my son that black was a shade yet lol
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Well...neither of you are totally correct or totally incorrect. Your husband's idea is very close to the scientific explanation of colors, except that the duck isn't yellow because it's absorbing the yellow. It's yellow because that is the main part of the light spectrum that is being reflected off the duck. Most of the light that is bouncing back to your eyes is yellow. So, black (in the scientific sense) is the absence of all colors on the light spectrum, while white is a blend of all colors of the light spectrum.

In the artistic sense, it's the kind of the opposite though. In art, black is technically the mixture of all colors/pigments (though in reality it usually looks very dark brownish), and white is the absence of all colors/pigments. In art you do mix black into other colors to get shades and white to get tints though, so that may be where you are getting the idea that black is a shade.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Gotta say, hubby's right.
    Let him gloat in it for a few, then remind him that you're always right, even when you're wrong--at least you are if he wants some pumpkin pie tonight! LOl And by pumpkin pie, I don't mean actual pie! LOL Always, works with my dh...LMBO
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2009