How on earth can a 9 month old baby that can't walk, climb up on everything!? And how do I teach him not to do it?

I thought it was great that he was cruising and crawling.. I could shut his bedroom door with me in there with him (it's heavily baby-proofed and a small room) and fold laundry, pay bills on my phone, etc. while keeping an eye on him but now he's climbing up on stuff! I thought they required more stability in order to climb things but apparently he doesn't. He's climbing his bookcase, his toy stacker, and his crib. I've tried saying "no!" but he just shakes his head "no" at me.

The bookcase and toy stacker are bolted to the wall and the crib is very sturdy, but it still isn't safe to let an unsteady 9 month old climb stuff. And now he's also climbing stuff outside of his room like his exersaucer, the couch and all of the chairs, I'm right on top of him but JEEZ.

So what do I do? How do I teach him NOT to climb things? Or would that be an exercise in futility? I'll be buying a crib-tent. Don't worry.. Sigh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol. That's going to be a full time job! Redirect, mama. Get his attention on something else, such as an interesting toy, a peek-a-boo game or something. I know it's constant, but remember, these baby years don't last very long at all. The bills and household chores might have to wait until naptime. ;-)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• yeah lol. your funny keep dreaming. thats what kids do clim,b run and drive you crazy. it will stop eventually but not anytime soon
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Firmly tell him "NO." And move him away - over and over and over again. A little swat on the diaper just to get his attention won't hurt him either. It will take some time, but if you stay consistent and on your toes, 3 months from now you should notice him climbing a lot less!!! Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• His job for the first 2 years of life is exploring and learning about his environment. Your job is to keep him safe while he does it. (wink) It is normal for him to climb, to see things from another POV (a higher plane). You have bolted things to keep him safe, and you can also give him safer alternatives, such as a slide in the house, throwing the couch cushions on the floor so that he can climb those, maybe covered with a blanket to make a "mountain". It helps him to excercise and strengthen his muscles and expand his "thinking". PS-Ours was climbing a huge slide at 8 months, and walking at 9 months. Get your tennis shoes on, Mama, the chaing is about to begin, LOL! It is the BEST age and have fun with it!

PS-He doesn't have the attn span nor comprehension of "no" at this point, it is learned over a LONG period of time. Patience, he's only just begun. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2009