When your kid asks about sex...?

We were in Greece a couple of days ago and they have a tv series called "safe sex". So my kids were watching tv and the safe sex trailer came on and the twins started asking what is sex. My kids are 3 1/2 so I don't really know what to say. They are too young. My son forgot all about it, but my daughter keeps asking me all the time and I always try to find a way to avoid the conversation. I thouhgt I was blessed they're so smart, but she said "I think you try to avoid me mommy. Do you not wanna tell me??". That's funny, but I really don't know what to tell her!!! A friend of mine told her son that sex is what 2 people love each other and they hug and kiss on the bed. So, he went to preschool and told his teacher he loved her so if there was a bed in the class he would have sex with her!!! Of course the teacher was socked!! I don't want sth like that to happen, so HELP!!!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• No harm in telling them it's how babies are made - just leave out the details. lol
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I just answer my kids questions and i don't elaborate unless they ask. Just a question, why were your 3 year olds watching a show about safe sex??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• anon 923, she said they were watching TV and an ad for the show called safe sex came on. I think my daughter never really asked the question directly, at least not at that age. But I think saying it's how babies are made is fine. The details can come later. We did it little by little, along with puberty and reading books about what her body was going to go through and it all went together, but we didn't have to do it at an unexpected time. I did start introducing it early, though. Good luck!
    calico1954

Answer by calico1954 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Oh, they weren't watching a show about safe sex. They were watching Greece's got talent and the "Safe Sex" trailer came on. That's why they saw it.
    Kristinejs

Answer by Kristinejs at 10:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Thanks a lot calico1954!!
    Kristinejs

Answer by Kristinejs at 10:57 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I like the thats how mommy and daddy make babies.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:39 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I tell him what he wants to know. I tell in a way that is age appropriate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• At 3 and a half, that's not a subject he needs to know about. I'd tell him the bare minimum, such as that's how Mommies and Daddies make babies and leave it at that. Chances are, if you just answer his question with as little detail as possible, he'll forget about it and move onto something else.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Just tell her the truth. But leave out details. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Just tell her the truth in an age appropriate way.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2009