What is your child suppose to know before they get to kindergarten-colors/numbers/alphabet etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, my son is pre-k and let me tell you that school has really changed. They are learning all their letters what their letters say, colors, shapes, count to at least 30, writing letters (especially writing their name), learning their address, rhyming words, syllabils, counting things (one at a time), number and letter recognition (out of order), and even learning how to use the computer. I was shocked at all the things they are doing in pre-k. His teacher said these things used to be kindergarten and are now pre-k and kids are going to kindergarten lost.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:13 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• That depends to the kid. Kindergarten is when they are supposed to start learning things, they are not "supposed" to know anything before kindergarten. If they do know things, that's fine. They'll go over all these again in school.
    Evili

Answer by Evili at 11:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I agree. Kindergarten is the starting point of learning. It's wonderful if they know their shapes, colors, numbers, letters, ect before going, but they won't prevent your kid from going because they don't know cause they will learn it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Is your kid in preschool?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My son just started a private Kindergarten. They evaluated him for admissions nd he needed to know
    his & parents full name
    write his full name
    know his address and phone number
    write and recognize his letters, numbers, colors and shapes (including hexagon))
    use sissors properly
    count to 100

things like that. I was very nervous (typical mom, wanted to hear her baby was smart) But luckily preschool had prepared us enough to do great on the evaluation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My son started kindergarten this year and already knew his colors numbers letters and most letter sounds. That being said, he didn't NEED to know any of it. They covered all of that the first few weeks of school. He just happened to go to a pre-k program the previous year. If he had not gone he wouldn't have been behind. I don't think there is anything they NEEd to know but anyting you can get them started on before they go will be beneficial.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I am a preschool teacher and I can tell you what the Kindergarten teacheres in my area want the kids to know coming into Kindergarten.

They should know: basic colors, shapes, recoginze letters and sounds, numbers 0-30, count to atleast 30 (100 is better but atleast to 30), use scissors and writing utensils correctly, write letters and numbers, write atleast their first name, put on own coat and shoes, use the toilet 100% by themselves. If they can tie their own shoes that is awesome. They also need to know how to get along without mom or dad, they need to know how to share, get along with others. They need to be able to color, in the lines. Use glue correctly. Follow simple directions. For recognizing letters and numbers, they should be able to do so OUT OF ORDER. Reciting the alphabet song is not knowing the letters.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It's kindergarten if the kids doesn't know anything at all they aren't going to kick him out...Teach what you can and go from there. It is ridiculous to think that a kindergarten teacher in a state with no required pre kindergarten program would require anything. It's there first year in school for pete's sake. I would just make sure that your child is at least independent enough to be left in a classroom with out you. This is for your childs benefit not the teachers IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• When my youngest son was in pre-school( big mistake sending him, but that's another story) one of the mother's was all in a tizzy because she felt her daughter wasn't learning what she needed to know to go to kindergarten. Bear in mind, these kids were learning how to use scissors , how to write their names, letters, numbers ,shapes and colors. What the heck were they supposed to know before going into kindergarten, Einstein's Theory of Relativity? I taught both my boys how to read and write before kindergarten,because they wanted to learn, and now they are both EXCELLENT readers but they certainly weren't required to know that. Now we homeschool and we learn at our OWN pace, not what someone else tells us we have to learn. I think it's ridiculous to require a 5 year old to know so much before they go to school.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I called a local k program when my oldest was nearing that age and he said his main concern was that they be able to sit up at a desk for the necessary time intervals. He said so many kids lie around the house watching TV or playing games and they have no stamina or the needed core strength to sit up at a desk. He said sometimes a young one will not really have an attention deficit, they just aren't used to sitting up for very long. He said to have them run and play outside and sit up at a table playing a board game and get them used to playing with others. Board games are good for counting skills and math readiness, too.
    As for motor skills, the pre school teachers said fine motor skills were really about hand strength. If they don't like to color, they can draw or cut out things or play with play-doh. Also, for gross motor skills, skipping is seen as important, somehow. That contributes to the first comment, too.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 1:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2009