Is this normal or not? 5 yr. boy

I am currently waiting for my sons insurance to authorize him to be evaluated for an ASD. With him being my first child I am not sure what is and is not normal behavior for a 5 year old boy. I mean most of his issues are obviously not normal but some I'm just not sure. Like is is normal for him to require multiple reminders at meals to use his fork? I mean every bite. He will eat soup with his fingers and has a melt down at a time over me requiring he use his silver wear. He also doesn't like people to be near his face. Like buttoning top buttons or latching his helmet sometimes causes major issues. But my DH doesn't like things around his neck so... Last. He will not play outside for longer than 10 min. He makes up every excuse int he book to not be out there. From there is bugs to it's too cold. (in the spring) And he's not alone. With friends or his younger sister he is like that to. Even if I go out also.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is autistic and when the kids were outside, he was inside. If all the kids came in, he would go out. It sounds like he has some sensory issues, with the stuff on his neck or being too close to his face. Get the evaluation and go from there.

I guess the answer to your question is no, it's not really normal at his age. But remember all kids are different and what is normal for one kid may not be for another.

PM me if you want to talk about stuff.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I really would have to say that these behaviors are not normal for a 5 year old. Hope all turns out ok with him and you get him the treatment needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• The part about the silverware sounds the most unusual to me. My son has sensory issues and he is grown now. He refused to be tested since he was so old by the time we were aware of the upper end of the autism spectrum.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 1:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• What are you going to do if your insurance turns you down? Start NOW finding a way to get him evaluated yesterday!!! That's ridiculous!!!
    Anonymous

• OP is insurance turns him down then I will go down the road of appeals. I can't pull thousands of dollars out of my rear end.
    Anonymous

• My son has some sensory issues. He also had issues with things being tight or up near his face- he also did not like playing outside because he is very sensitive to temperature/light changes... outside was often too hot/cold or bright for him. He had gotten better with age (the only real major differences I notice at 7.5 is that he does not like prolonged loud noise and he is very sensitive to smells- things the average person would not even notice.) I hope the assessment gives you some answers.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I'm having a lot of the same issues with my son. Thankfully he has Medicaid... they're testing him for ASD, already labeled him ADHD... he wont use silverware either - unless I'm constantly reminding him... he refuses to wear socks because they just "dont feel right" and those shirts with holographic or whatever stuff on the front? The ones that kinda feel different on the inside of the shirt? He REFUSES to wear them because they are sticky and they make him cry. When we're in the car, I can't turn on the radio b/c it either makes him scream and cover his ears, or he will sit and rock.

Good luck with your son, if you ever need to chat, or just vent, feel free to PM me. :)
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009