night training: has anyone tried the waking the child up method of nighttime training, or did you just wait until they stayed dry regularly?

I've had people recommend "training" a child to stay dry at night (after daytime training success) by waking them once or twice at night and taking them to the potty (like before parents go to bed, and then possibly again around 3-4 am). Has anyone tried this? What was your experience? My daughter just decided one day she didn't WANT to wear diapers to bed (she day trained early, 20 months, but it's been over a year now). Not wanting to say, "no, keep peeing in your pants please," we've been trying the waking her up to pee mehtod. If we time it right (10:30 pm and 3am) she does stay dry till morning... but we've tried skipping the 3am an no dice. For those of you who tried this successfully, what signs did you look for that they were ready to do it on their own? Or signs that we should throw in the towel? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well with my son, he just didnt want to wear diapers anymore at night, so i woke him up and this worked well for him(i set times to wake him and then spread the times out as the weeks went on till i didnt wake him)
    My DD she just stays dry all night on her own. So no waking her, she also is one that if i woke her up she would refuse to go!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• well i let my daughter go to bed wearing just undies when potty training and she did wet the bed for about a week but then she didnt do it anymore. i dont know how it worked, but it did!
    Anonymous

• Why on earth would you take precious sleep away from a preschooler? You're not even really training her anything....just making her tired and she probably doesn't even remember getting up. How is that letting HER know to wake up when SHE has to go? She's relying on YOU to wake her up.

Put a cover on the mattress, take away the diapers and pullups (girls shouldn't sleep in panties, by the way....increases the chance of yeast infections...they should "air out" during the night). She wets the bed a few times, she'll get it.

Cut off all drink after supper, make sure she goes before bed.
    Anonymous

• I could never wake ds up to night train him, it would be like waking and already angry bear lol. I have noticed the last few days he has been dry when he gets up. He's 3 and potty trained almost a year. If he continues to stay dry for the next couple days I am going to try regular underwear to bed. We tried the regular undies for bed time before and he always woke up him and his bed soaked so we decided to wait until he stays dry consistenly.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Aubree was night trained at 2 I did the night waking and it worked she's now 3 and has no accidents well maybe once when she was real sick
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2009