Problems with Gramma...

My 6-year-old daughter loves her grandmother very much which is wonderful. The problem is that she asks to stay to her gramma's house EVERY night and she cries her eyes out because we say no. Her gramma lives a 5 minute walk away, so my dd sees her almost every day. But she always asks to spend the night at her house. We do let her sleep there every now and then, but she asks every night. She's been crying herself to sleep for the past couple of weeks because of that. What should we do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Make a special night each week, or every other week, or even once a month that she can sleep over. Make a special calendar and have her mark off the days. Make her part of the planning process for the days, too! Have your mom/MIL over, and all three of you can sit down and decide on a day. Keep checking off the days until she can go! Hopefully she will understand that sleeping over grandma's is a special thing, not an every day occurance.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Have her gramma tell her no!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't give in. Let her cry. You will have a bigger problem if you let her get what she wants! It's just a phase. My daughter has gone through this, and every time she doesn't get what she wants she starts crying for her grandma.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Have Grammy tell her that she is busy and she'll have to sleep over another night.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• As a little one I spent almost every minute with my grandma (and she didn't much care for kids...not even my mom) but I was her world, let's face it grandparents are a heck of a lot funner (is that a word?) then parents, I would tell her no but give her a day when she can so she can look forwad to it and know that she will get to stay again.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It's not like we she doesn't get to see her grandma, she sees her everyday. I just don't know how to make her understand that she doesn't have two houses; she can spend time with her grandma but THIS is her home and she should spend her nights here. She gets to stay at her grandma's house every other Suterday anyway because my husband and I like to go out alone.
    Evili

Answer by Evili at 12:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I lived within walking distance of both of my grandparents, it is a grat way to grow up! My grandson lives about a 15 minute drive away and I'm ok with that. I'm so glad he is in the same city.

It's ok to tell a child no and she needs to learn not to cry so much when she is either sad or trying to get her way. Just tell her she is not going to sleep at grandmas and thats the way it is. She is 6, way old enough to understand. Walk away and don't let the tears affect you. If it stops having any affect on you she will probably stop.

If it doesn't then you may need to ignor the tears along with setting up a schedule with grandma of when your daughter will spend the night. That way your daughter will know what to expect and not hope every night to get to stay with grandma.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2009