Do you do this?

When a gift giving occasion rolls around for my son I like to get him a few things for now and a few things for later. I pack away a bunch of the toys after he opens them and take them out on rainy days when he needs something new to play with rather than just giving them all to him at once. I think he gets more enjoyment out of the new things when he's not overwhelmed with tons of new stuff at once and he can just focus on one new thing at a time.

Do you do this too? Do you think it's mean to not let him play with all of his new toys at once? (he'll be nearly 17 months by Christmas).

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 12:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think at this age it does not matter to him either way. Giving him a few new toys would be fun I suppose to play with.

I don't see how it is mean not to let him play with all of them at once, where he may not remember what he has if you take a few of the older toys up and just give him the new ones for a while.

Switching them off when they are older, is when you have to worry. My son would search high and low for some of the new toys he got and I saw he had not played with them in a few weeks so I moved them about. He noticed being 5 years old and kept saying," I KNOW I had that toy over by my toy bin. Now it is gone some where. YOU hid it from me cause it should be where you told me to leave it!"

An only child he is catches on quick! LOL

Don't worry!
    Anonymous

• That is an excellent idea.We did this too when our son was smaller.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• He's only 17 mo, how could it be mean?

You don't need to buy so much for gift giving times and then can buy things at other times. Season changes are always good times to get kids things like a tricycle and helmet in spring or a sled in winter. I used to get my kids puzzles and books frequently. Puzzles may help with math skills. The right toys are an investment in your childs development and it's good to spread out getting new things at the right times. It may even be second hand things from a thrift shop or yard sale that you have saved.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• At that age no.
    Anonymous

• At his age, he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't need that many anyway though.

At my kids' ages...no way in HELL is that going to work.
    Anonymous