When can you start exercising?

How long do you have to wait after you have a baby to start exercising?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Health

• I'd say about 6-8 weeks (depending on how the delivery went and if you had a c-section or vag. birth)
    Anonymous

• It depends on your health/excercise habit pre-delivery. I was able to excercise within a month after both kids. At 45 I had a full cut hysterectomy (think c-section). I was on the treadmill at 1 week, and swimming at 2 weeks. I was in optimal shape prior to surgery though.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If you are taking care of your baby, your home, shopping, ect. then you are exercising!

Exercising and yoga can work best for the reluctant if you fit it in here and there throughout your day. While you are waiting for something do a yoga pose or a few exercises. Take your kids and/or dog for walks. Keep it simple. Get an exercise bike and put it by a TV and ride it and watch TV at the same time. You don't have to put on special clothes and sweat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I thought of another way. Carry your baby in a sling or carrier instead of using a stroller or cart, all the time. Once your baby is a toddler that starts really helping.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009