all the "experts" say........

that at 6 months old a baby does not need to eat at night. so why does my 6 month old still wake up 3+ times per night and eat 6oz each time? and if this is not necessary how do i make her stop?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 1:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WHAT EXPERTS SAY THAT? Find me the medical journal articles that say that babies at 6 months do not need to eat at night. Anyone else who responded with "she's not hungry" - you find me the journal articles that proclaim that babies do not need to eat at night past a certain age.

The first rule of CIO is baby must be --FED-- so you can't do CIO. Your baby is not refusing to eat and is taking an entire 6 oz. 6 oz is a good amount of food for not hungry!!

Your baby may not eat often enough or be CAPABLE of eating enough in one sitting to sustain her blood sugar through the night. If you starve her needlessly, she may become hypoglycemic or develop acidosis and both can cause a lot of issues. Look them up..

Do not starve your baby because someone, even your doctor, says "well, she should be able to sleep" until you've done exhaustive research on this topic. Feed a hungry baby!! Now. You could -try- cont.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• The general advice for this is: don't respond so quickly, she may fall back asleep.
    Anonymous

• I agree with taking a little longer to respond. Try using the CIO method. The first night you respond after 5 minutes, and then increase it to 10, 15 mins and hopefully if she's not really hungry she will just let you sleep through the night. Also it could be that her sleepin place is uncomfortable. First I had to move her from the bassinet part (she was early so I could keep her their longer than normal) to the big part in the bottom for her to sleep through the night and then at about 9 months she started waking up again, so I moved her to a toddler bed. She slept through the night again (I would have done a crib if we had the room)
    Anonymous

• Others may disagree, but I feel if your child is still waking, for food, they probably still need it. If you want to be sure, try other means of comfort before feeding during the night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I think as long as her weight isn't an issue,she should be fed on demand still.If you're getting closer to a year and this still occurs,then you need to try other methods for comfort.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• She could also be teething. My 6 month old wakes up here and there and i rub some Orajel on her gums and she goes right back to sleep. How much is she eating during the day? If she's only eating 6 oz a feeding, she may still be hungry. Try increasing her feedings throughout the day and she may sleep through the night. My dd eats about 8 oz a feeding every 3 or 4 hours, and I give her solid food for lunch. She sleeps through the night other than when her gums are hurting her. Every baby is different though, but it's a game of trial and error lol. Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My thoughts, if the baby is hungry, you feed it. No matter what the age of the child of the time of day. Think about it, if you wake up in the middle of the night absolutely starving, maybe you did not eat enough the day before, do you go back to sleep? Can you go back to sleep? Or do you go get something to eat? I hate how many doctors will try to tell you that a baby is not waking from hunger at a certain age.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 2:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• feeding her more often during the day and seeing if she sleeps better at night. You could also try getting one of the "wearable blankets", white noise, or giving her a binkie instead of a bottle. However. If she does not respond to that and gets up and wants a bottle.. she's hungry! That is that. The end. Feed her.

And do not consider a million "my baby was fine" anectdotal stories about how they CIO'd their baby off of waking to eat. They -think- they had no ill effect, but honestly they may have done damage that they did not realize they did. The symptoms of acidosis and hypoglycemia are -difficult- to spot in newborns and in infants. But they could have been there. And BOTH can cause brains to not develop to their full potential and growth to slow. Mind you, I'm not talking about telling a 3 year old "No more snacks!" after they've been up 5 times. I'm talking about newborns and infants.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• She hasn't read the books and the "experts" haven't met your baby. Stop reading parenting books and pay attention to the wants and needs of your baby. Both of you will be much happier if you go with HER flow.
    Anonymous

• PP Parenting books are usually very general with milestones and sleep. They use words like "MAY BE" and say things like "All babies are different" My books say nothing about CIO'ing at 6 months to stop eating at night. On the contrary one says they should be waking up 2-4 times at 6 months and it is unusual for them not to!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009