my 6 month old is still waking up 3+ times per night!

i dont think i can do this much longer. its been a year since i have slept all night. how can i get her to sleep more?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 1:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you breast feeding or furmula feeding?
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• and has she started solids yet?
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• LOL* This is funny, sorry but my daughter who will be 4 years old in less than a week has been waking up about 3-5 times in one night!!! It never stops! Once in a while we get a really good night sleep... but then she does this... it's a cycle!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Its really not that abnormal. I would make sure to feed and change her right before you go to bed and hopefully that will help her stay asleep longer. There really isn't much you can do beyond that. Both of my girls stopped doing that around 6 to 8 months. So don't worry there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Good Luck hun!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Ali 1107 thats not "normal" for her to be getting up like that. She should be sleeping through the night by now. You might want to talk to your doctor to see if there is something you can do for that. Its not healthy for her. Maybe she has some sort of sleeping disorder. My DD had sleep apnea and she woke up several times a night until we had her tonsils take out. Just an idea! Hopefully I didn't offend you!!!
    Anonymous

• Anon : It is completely "normal" for my daughter, I never said it was an "every single night occurrence" but that she goes through cycles of this. It has been an issue for a long time. But yes it can be normal. Her doctor knows this, and we already had sleep study's done and everything is normal! All children are different. My daughter would wake up coughing and choking, so I thought indeed it was apnea but the study showed no apnea, she does not have a sleeping disorder, no disorder, just a typical child waking up during the night who needs reassurance at times! Just thought it was funny, because children all do this! Their it no time limit telling us when our children will in deed sleep for the night every night... sometimes kids are just poor sleepers! We will never get a " good nights rest " until our children are grown up and out of the house... even then expect a few " late nighters! "!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I have 2 kids ages 5 and almost-3 and I still haven't slept through the night. I was up 4 times last night. Let me know if you find the magic wand...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 2:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Oh, and just so people don't start diagnosing my kids - my youngest does have sleep apnea which he is on medication for but it's flu season...and this is more normal than you might think for many people...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 2:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• At 6 months, they aren't expected to sleep through! And if you read it in a book somewhere that they should be, you need to have the BABY read the book, because obviously she hasn't.
    Anonymous

• Most infants don't sleep through the night. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was about 14 months by the time she slept through the night on a regular basis. Cosleeping saved me! It was easy to doze, if not sleep, while she nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2009