At what age/grade did you let your child/children walk to school alone?

We live 4 blocks from our elementary school. I am wondering at what age or grade a child can walk to school alone. I know mine is still too young, but I am just curious at this point. Good to know for future reference.

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son walks with our neighbors kids he is in 2nd grade. He walked last year too with the same kids. We live about 3 blocks from the school.
    Anonymous

• I would wait until between 8-10. studies show that kids younger then about 9 years old don't have a very good idea of how fast cars are moving and will misjudge the safety of an approaching car. They know the rules, but because of their brains development they just make mistakes.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• well we live about 2 blocks so she has walked from the start. she is in first this year and walks on her own and we meet her at the end of the drive way and help her cross the street after shcool.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 2:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Well, we live miles from our school. I walked to school with a gang of kids my entire grade school career -- however -- things are not so simple anymore. Quite frankly, if I lived one block from school, I don't think my dd would ever walk without me or my husband -- if I could help it.
    AislinnAsparas

Answer by AislinnAsparas at 4:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My kids have walked to school a couple of times on their own this year. It's about 3 1/2 city blocks (we live in Chicago) and they are in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades. Usually I walk them half way and watch them go the rest of the way. If it wasn't for the school's rule about kids in grades P-4th having to have an adult pick them up they would walk home on their own every day. Next year my oldest can leave and walk on her own but I'll still have to pick up the ones in 2nd and 3rd grades.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My son didn't walk to school until he was in 6th grade only because when he was in elementary school, he couldn't walk. We live where the majority of the path had no sidewalks and that is just too dangerous. If there were sidewalks, he would have walked in 4th grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My kids dont...I watch to much Nancy Grace. I have a 5yr old and an 11yr old, we're only a few blocks from the school..but so much can happen in a few blocks.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 3:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• So much depends on where you live, the maturity of the child etc.  But, having said that, I would make sure my child is educated on strangers, safety etc.  Here are some books http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=6

I would personally feel better if my child walked with someone.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2009