Very Scared

So I gave birth to a healthy, almost 7 pound babyboy and everything was going good until a social worker came by and told me I tested posetive for smoking pot and I couldn't take the baby home until some people come talk to me and check my house out. I don't smoke weed, but my husband does, so now I'm scared of loosing my 1st baby to 2nd hand smoke. What do you guys think will happen to my baby ? By the way the baby was tested negative.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why would you go around someone that s smoking weed when ur pregnant?
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's time you rethought your living arrangements. If your husband doesn't care enough to give up smoking the weed around his pregnant wife, what makes you think he will care enough to smoke it elsewhere when (IF) the baby comes home? Seek assistance at the hospital. Make an effort to make the situation right so you can go home with your baby. Do what ever you have to do, including leaving the husband until he can clean himself up.
    nightwhispers76

Answer by nightwhispers76 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Well all I can really say is that IF they even let you bring your baby home, I sure hope this is an eye opener to you and your husband. Drugs are illegal and should NOT under ANY circumstances be around children. Your husband shouldn't have been smoking that crap in the first place, let alone around his pregnant wife. I avoided smoke at all costs when I was pregnant. I'm sorry for coming across as judgemental, insensitive, or maybe even rude, but the only thing running through my mind right now is, "What the hell were you thinking?!" It's time to be grown-ups and realize that stupid choices don't only affect you two, they affect your son as well. My heart is broken for your baby boy. I pray that you make wiser decisions for him in the future.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You should be scared... sorry if I'm being rude but being pregnant around people that smoke weed is just careless. And your husband is very careless as well for smoking weed when you're around!
    Anonymous

• You cannot test positive for pot simply by being around someone that smokes. It is simply not possible. However, if you had been smoking, your baby would have tested positive as well. So I believe that it is a testing error and would demand a retest.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 3:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Actually you CAN get a positive... it's second hand smoke.... check online. Studies have been done.
    Anonymous

• Hmm.. Well, first of all, testing positive for pot is not actually a crime. You have to possess it for it to be a crime.

Since your baby did not test positive for the drug, I don't see why they'd take your baby away after searching your home and not finding drugs (they won't find drugs, will they??).

You had to be sitting -right there- when your hubby was smoking for you to test positive. Shame shame! But, eh, there are worse things.. Unless they find drugs in your home -- I'd tell them I was around an aunt smoking funny-smelling smokes, to explain the exposure, and make sure hubby quits smoking pot. What have you told them about it?

And worse comes to worse - have hubby volunteer to live separately until he undergoes chemical dependency counseling and tests clean for drugs.. so atleast you can take baby home.
    Maybe they won't believe you. Anyway I'd demand a re-test!
    Anonymous

• you know what....my daddy smokes pot and has my whole life and id rather be around that then cigeretts or alcohol.
    I have never tried and never will but my dad is awsome and the best dad ever and smoking pot did not make him a bad parent, i was around him when i was pregnant with dd and for 26 weeks with my ds. my babies are fine. but i do understand why they are doing this. but there is no drugs around my kids or my house.
    Anonymous

• PP I think all those years of having a contact high had an effect on your spelling and grammar. Perfect example why drugs are bad!
    Anonymous

• Yes, testing positive for pot from 2nd hand smoke IS impossible! so maybe you are asking this because you did test positive and so did your baby,you can't test positive and your baby test negative. You should be scared.
    Anonymous