For all you military mommies..

When your children were born, was your husband there for the birth?

I only ask because my husband is leaving for Iraq in 11 days and I might be pregnant now (testing in 9 days!!) and I just can't imagine having my husband deployed for the birth.

Any advice would be lovely.

Momto4girls209

Asked by Momto4girls209 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My husbands cousin gave birth 2 days before her husband got her leave from Iraq.
    It depends on what branch he is in and if you have your baby on your due date or not. and if he can get his leave on time.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Oh. and you should look into "Operation Special Delivery".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My babys father will be gone a week before my due date, I just got lucky and they dont think the baby will stay in there till then.
    Expectinginfeb

Answer by Expectinginfeb at 2:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Gave birth to three he was home for two. My middle son was never held by my husband. He passed away 9 dyas after he was born. My husband was on a ship in the middle of the ocean. By the time he got home it was in time for the funeral.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Oh babe. I am hoping you have a miracle on the way and praying your hubs will be there to share it with you. I never had a pregnancy when dh has been gone, but I know MANY who have. Basically, you dig down, pull hard and un-earth your army wife spirit. Just remember the unofficial army wife(well any branch really) motto--When push comes to shove WE SHOVE BACK!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My hubby left when I was 7 months pregnant with our first and they met for the first time when our son was 5 and a half months old. I hope he can be there (not only for you, but also for him--it killed my hubby being away) but if not, you will be amazed at the strength you find in yourself. My hubby told me all the time that knowing how strong I was was the only reason he didn't go crazy worrying-so trust me, you will find you can do it for both your child and your husband.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 3:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My hubby left a month before our first was born and didn't get to meet come home until our son was nine months old. With our second son my husband is due to come home about two weeks before the due date. It's not an ideal situation but in my mind single mothers do it all the time and at least I know that I don't have to worry about a cash flow problem. It's hard and kind of sad giving birth alone but you can do it if you need to because every military wife has that extra strength in her. If we didn't we'd all run away screaming from the idea of this kind of life.
    Anonymous

• With my first three boys, my husband was in Iraq when they were born and didn't return till like 6 or 7 months later and with our 4th baby, he came home a week after and left 4 weeks later. It's hard but I know you can do it. Us military mommies have a certain strength inside of us, a strength that not all mothers have. You have my support and I know you can do it.
    May God bless you and your husband, and your family.
    Anonymous