Do the emails leaked by hackers change your view on global warming?

For the believers, do you see any red flags?

Global Warming With the Lid Off
The emails that reveal an effort to hide the truth about climate science.

...Even a partial review of the emails is highly illuminating. In them, scientists appear to urge each other to present a "unified" view on the theory of man-made climate change while discussing the importance of the "common cause"; to advise each other on how to smooth over data so as not to compromise the favored hypothesis; to discuss ways to keep opposing views out of leading journals; and to give tips on how to "hide the decline" of temperature in certain inconvenient data....

(link follows)

diospira

Asked by diospira at 2:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704888404574547730924988354.html#articleTabs%3Darticle
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 2:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It doesn't change my view because I already believe it's overblown. What I found most telling wasn't what was in those emails, but what was not in them. Think about it, whenever one group of people is deriding another group, they'll say things like, "can you believe they actually tried to use -argument xyz- like we don't already know that's a load of bull?" It becomes an inside joke to use the other side's view as the joke itself. Like calling out someone for using the Bible to prove the Bible is true or saying the DaVinci Code is based on fact. You don't see that there. You see them calling the other side idiots, and strategizing how best to combat the other side. What you don't see is a lot of automatically discrediting the views of the other side. If they have so much disrespect, why do they hesitate to use the other side's premise as a euphemism for being wrong?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It's funny that the conservatives are fighting over living conservatively

Anonymous

Care to elaborate?

Anonymous

Making a giant chunk of Ontario completely uninhabitable, shipping the materials mined there to China, and then shipping them back to the US in the form or toxic batteries to save 4 mpg is not conservative. It's exactly the kind of bs hoops liberal thinking will jump through to justify something that seemed like a good idea at the time. Most pro-green measures don't prevent pollution or conserve resources. They just shift around where the pollution comes from and which resources are used. Recycling a plastic grocery bag uses more energy than making a new one, and yet we recycle millions of them and pat ourselves on the back about how good we're being to the earth. It's funny that liberals will do anything to be right, even if they have to destroy the planet in the process. Except not so much funny...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It didn't change my opinion/views, it just confirmed what I always thought--that "Global Warming" aka "Climate Change" (as it was portrayed by Al Gore and his fellow alarmists) is/was a big ol' scam/hoax.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I am conservative and I live conservatively. I just don't need government to step in and legislate my trash. I don't want them telling me that I have to update my appliances to government standards in order to sell my house. I don't want government to legislate my thermostat, how much I drive, how much food I buy, how I choose to heat my home, what sort of television I can have and operate in the privacy of my home. 

I recycle. I keep my house cold when it is cold outside and hot when it is hot outside. I keep my air filters cleaned and change them when they need to be changed. I don't use water wastefully. I don't leave lights on in rooms when I am not occupying those particular rooms. I do larger loads of laundry with my HE washer. I even recycle junk mail, for heaven sakes. Who are you to say who lives conservatively?

Anonymous

• I never believed global warming anyways. I've taken a geology class and know that the Earth goes through warming and cooling trends....it was just a big ploy to make some money.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It didn't change my views on Global Warming or Climate Change or whatever it is called this year. I have taken enough science courses and paid attention during those classes to realize (all by myself) that the earth and the climate have cycles. This is one of the biggest scams ever played upon the human race. For all the so-called good that we do by changing our habits to save the planet, there is a small group of people who are making millions if not billions. That alone is enough convince me to walk away and reject the theory.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Rather confirmed my views.

Living responsibly as individuals is great, I just hope this kills irresponsible legislation - like cash for clunkers which was worse for the environment to make those new cars than for people to keep driving their old ones.

Hopefully pulling us out of "crisis" mode will help people think things through a little more and do what's smart rather than "sounds good at the moment."
    Anonymous