Do you prefer a real tree or artificial one for Christmas?

Let's hear your answers and why :)

Lizzie32390

Asked by Lizzie32390 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Holidays

• My husband, boys and I go to a tree farm each year and cut down our own tree. It's a nice family experience!

Hubby and I decided since we were never allowed to have real Christmas trees growing up (parents thought they were too messy, and too big of a production), that we would only ever have real Christmas trees from here on out (we also leave the door open on occasion, leave lights on in rooms we're not in)! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a real tree! There is nothing like picking out a tree each year with your family, and i loooooove the smell of a christmas tree, it just fills my heart with joy and makes me smile. =D
    Anonymous

• Real ones smell great- but I like to have mine up for a while so fake is better. Besides, my daughter had a friend who had a fire that started in their house when they had a real tree and she is paranoid about having a real one
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I actually like both...real ones for the smell! Oh I love the smell of a fresh tree!!

But I like fake ones because they are easier to deal with. You don't have to water them, they don't die, you are not killing a tree, they last longer, and they are cheaper since you use them over and over. We like to decorate Thanksgiivng weekend which leaves the tree up a good month.

My kids are young and the last time we had a real tree was when he was 18mos (my oldest) so I figure one year if they really want a real one we will do it!
    Anonymous

• Real. I will only buy real from now on. Not only because of the wonderful smell, but because they don't have all the chemicals (lead, pthalates, PVC, etc) that artificial trees all have. To get an artificial tree without those, its very very expensive. Here is more info about the chemicals in artificial trees for anyone interested:

http://greenliving.suite101.com/article.cfm/which_is_greener_real_or_fake_christmas_trees

http://www.premiumchristmastree.com/a28/Artificial-christmas-trees,-causing-REAL-problems/article_info.html

We went to a christmas tree farm and cut down our christmas tree the first weekend in December last year. Bought an awesome $20 stand (so the total was $58 for a 7.5' tree and stand) that holds 4 gallons of water. Every other day, my son would add a gallon of water to the stand and it NEVER dried out til after christmas when he started forgetting to water it. It took him like 2 minutes to do it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• We are going real this year. When I was growing up we ALWAYS had a real tree. This will be my hubby's first year with a real tree.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• real
    SHELL28

Answer by SHELL28 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Artificial for many reasons. 1) I have asthama and my family members all have bad allergies. 2) I'm a single mom and the real ones are a pain in the butt to cut down and haul home 3) When you're done with it you have to figure out what to do with it. 4) They don't last as long. 5) They are more expensive and you have to buy a new one every single year. 6) The pines cut up little kids when they get into the tree. 7) They fall over really easily 8) You have to water the darn things and keep the cat from drinking the water. .... do I need to go on? They do smell great and are pretty but so not worth the trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Fake bc I am allergic to the real thing....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• DH & I met on Christmas Eve. Its our serious Season for many reasons! We used to have real ones! But each year we could only afford a Charlie Brown type Tree! We used to go with our DD's. But most of our heating seasons we have to heat with a wood stove. Unable to turn on our furnace. A real Tree would die in no time!! I do many different Themes of Trees. Like a All White one al l decorated with A Baby Theme for Lillian's honor born this year! My Angel Tree takes 12 hours to decorate on a rotator. A real tree can't rotate. My Nativity Tree, Primitive Tree, Coca Cola Tree, Mopar Car Tree Etc... The main thing is get what you like and decorate with your own instincts. Do as you please and Enjoy! Hope you have a wonderful Blessed Chritmas!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 5:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2009