what to pay attention to? (childcare)

i must send my 9 mth old baby son to daycare. quality and affordibility are what i consider 1st. i must have him be taken care of for 4 hrs on a regular schedule. i have none information as to what to look at at our interview this monday? any tips ladies? your responses are more than appreciated. our enormous thanks !

baby133

Asked by baby133 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well we sent my daughter to a church daycare where my in-laws are members. We had some recommendations and they had openings, so we just took her there. I would check to see if they're licensed, what the ratios are (teachers to babies), what the sick policies are, what activities they do throughout the day, cleanliness (how often they change crib sheets, how they handle diaper changes, etc.), ask how long the teachers have been working there (it's a bad sign if the teachers are all new, it means people don't stay for long) and check out to see if the kids look happy while you're there! That is a big one. My daughter always seems very happy when I pick her up. Sometimes I observe through the window before going in and she is usually happy playing or just babbling to herself.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Ask the ratio of children to adults, I think it is 3 to 1, find out in your state though. Ask about reading time(circle time), coloring, what educational activities they do to entertain? Think about what you do at home and ask if they do it? Hope it helps, I have never had to use a daycare, but this is what I would ask.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Ratio would def be my first question. Make sure you are up on your states laws before you go out. Count heads when you get there. Go unannounced at least once and count heads. If the DC is unwilling to give you a tour unannounced I would be concerned about what they are hiding. Don't go by there references alone. Grab a parent in the parking lot and just ask them for a quick opinion. Ask about teacher turn over rate. If the turn over rate is to high then there is something not right. The place should bright colorful and the children should appear happy and clean. Make sure to ask about routines and how they will be helping your LO adjust to there or if they will be adjusting to yours. Make sure each child has there own crib and ask how often sheets are washed. They should be able to tell you there cleaning regimen with out hesitation. Ask the same questions to several employees and compare answers...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• They should all add up. Watch the teachers for a while try to get a feel for there general attitude toward there job. You can spot a good actress when you see one. Use you instinct. God gave us one for a reason so don't put it on the back self. If it doesn't feel right then it's not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I live in florida and her i can go on the states website and read the daycares inspection reports.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009