Do you expect people to pay for gas when you offer them a ride?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• If they ask me for a ride than yes, but if I offer I don't expect them to pay for gas.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• no. i offered so I wouldn't expect... if they asked for a ride (depending on who of course) I would expect money (thats if it was out of my way)
    Anonymous

• Not if I offered. Even if they asked, I wouldn't expect it unless it was a major drive or a whole week's worth of rides.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If I offer anything, I don't expect payment. If they asked, I would assume they'd offer something.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't expect them to pay for gas, but I would expect that they "treat" for coffee and a snack or light lunch or some other equivalent item.

I guess it's how my friends and I have always done things. We don't keep a tab on each other, just make sure to pay our share when opportunities present themselves, and without making a big deal about it. Something like: "Since you drove, I'll buy this or that, okay?!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• not if i offer the ride.
    but i do know of ppl who expect it and i don't think it's right.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If I've offered I don't expect them to pay for gas, unless it's a long trip and we're splitting costs but just using my vehicle. But a quick trip around town I don't, even if they've asked for a ride, I don't expect them to pay for gas.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Generally no I don't expect them to chip in for fuel. That is *if* we were heading that same way anyway or it's just a short little trip...
    On the other hand if we asked them for a ride, I'd definitely feel like we needed to pay for the fuel, or at least chip in.
    Anonymous

• If its a one time thing, no problem... if they ride with me quite often and its a long trip, I would "hope" but not expect for them to chip in. A friend of mine drives carpool more than she should ( and I am thankful to her) so I always offer to chip in... she usually says no, so every once in a while I get her a gift card for movie tickets or video rentals and MAIL it to her house so she can not refuse it... her son says she loves getting them so it works out for all of us!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My friends and I go to the beach for a weekend every year, and I always pitch in to help with gas. If it's a short ride, to the movies or something then no, I just drive the next time to make up for it.

Answer by missanc at 4:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2009