With an epidural how do you walk to the bathroom to pee?

And if they use a cathadur dose it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can't get up to walk at all, so they have to catheterize you. What they did for me was intermittent catheterization, where they just put it in every now and then instead of leaving it in. And no, it doesn't hurt; the meds from the epi cause you not to feel much of anything down there. And even if they do put it in before the epi (they did mine before my spinal block for my C-section), it's not painful so much as uncomfortable, but even then you forget about it quickly.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You get a catheter, and no it doesn't hurt because they put it in after the epi has taken effect.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I used a bedpan.

I would refuse the epidural if I was you. Just saying, those things are NOT worth it or all they're cracked up to be.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion,get the epi.I was so exhausted from the labor that I was sleeping awake! I got mine and got enough rest to have strength to push.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I had an epi and I loved it! I had a cathadur and I barely felt it when they put it in. Checking to see if I was dilated was more painful
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You don't. You sit there and they put a catheter in.

If they do it like they did me, you will feel a slight pressure when they insert the catheter. It should not hurt though, because you'll already be numb from the waist down. You know your legs are there, but you feel no pain when something happens. And besides, once they put the catheter in, you don't even feel the urge to pee. It was heaven for me, after 10 long months of constantly having to use the bathroom.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• They put a catheter in. They didn't put mine in until the epidural took effect so I didn't feel a thing. It did hurt a little when they took it out though but that was because I hadn't had any pain meds for awhile. It also kind of felt like I had to pee for awhile even though I didn't. Similar to the feeling of an oncoming bladder infection if you know how that feels.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If you get a walking epidural you can still go to the bathroom to pee. If you get a regular epidural ( in most cases this is the type they administer ) you cannot walk at all after you get it. They will insert a urinary catheter to collect your urine. This does not hurt at all because you will be completely numb down there. You might poop a bit while pushing but the doctor/nurse will catch it and that will be that, nothing to be embarrassed about. It's worth getting the epidural, trust me.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• The epi does have risks, so do your homework and discuss any concerns with your doctor. However, having said that...I had one and I LOVED it!! They did cath me but I don't remember it hurting at all. I was numbed up pretty good. And no, I don't think you even know when you have to go.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2009