I battle with my 7 month old EVERYday to get him down for naps

I know he's tired but if I'm holding him its as if I just let him down to cry by himself, is this normal to have this fight dailY??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it takes alot of patience and strength to get this resolved but at the end youll both be happy...........put him down in his crib, give him a kiss and walk away!!!!!!!!! go in every 3 minutes to assure him that you are still there, but dont stick around. he'll probably cry for a few days, maybe even a week but he'll come around and by the time you know it he'll be asking you for a nap! just stick with it and youll see, I went through teh same thing and my heart broke everytime but it was so much better when she would go to slep right away withought crying! good luck
    kassynkayla

Answer by kassynkayla at 4:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• How many naps is he taking.. ? How long after he woke up are you trying to put your baby down for his nap ? I bet he's getting over-tired if you "KNOW" he is tired and he starts crying and fussing a lot. Start trying to put him down for his first nap about 2 hours after he wakes up. I know it -sounds- like he won't want to nap, and he might not, but many babies will take a nap a couple hours after waking and then another one about 3-5 hours after that. If he won't do it 2 hours after waking, bump it by 45 minutes and try again. This way you can figure out what time he is tired before he is so tired he can't nap because he's really uncomfortable.

Using CIO is not going to make you put him down for his nap at the appropriate time. lol. That's just going to -force- him to cry until he's so exhausted he passes out. Is that really what you want to do? If it is, fine..
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• And stop stressing out about it. They sense that. When my son was littler (he's 9 months now) EVERY TIME I would -give up- trying to get him to take naps, he would act sleepy and I'd nurse him and he'd fall asleep. lol

So finally I just decided. You know what? I do not care if you nap or not! You can just not sleep, like an energizer bunny!

I started trying to put him down for a nap about 2 hours after he woke up - and if he wouldn't ? No big deal. Just play, read, whatever, for another 45 and try again.

My son now naps 2 hours after waking and then about 4 1/2 hours after that like clockwork. And if he doesn't want to take his naps, which sometimes he doesn't? No biggie.

Just try different napping times and relaxing. I really think it will help.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Btw. When they get overtired like you described.. it becomes difficult for them to sleep because cortisol and adrenaline gets released. If they get REALLY overtired it actually gets painful for them and giving a little tylenol can help.

Plus, they go in sleepy-wakeful cycles every 3 hours or so. So if you get to the point of severe over-tired baby, you may have to grit your teeth and wait a couple of hours for him to get the adrenaline worked out of his system so he can actually get tired again. And you being stressed out the entire time about it will not help him to get his adrenaline worked out at all.

:)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009