Christmas gift for a baby girl that's practical, but fun.

My hubby's niece and her boyfriend had a baby girl in April. We just recently found out how much they are struggling financially, we knew they didn't have a lot of money, but we just found out that my mil has been buying all the baby food (and I'm sure helping out in other ways, that's just how she is). We had already talked about not exchanging gifts among the adults in the family, but we are getting the baby a gift and I'm just looking for some ideas for gifts that would be useful to them without being too ... I don't know practical or like charity or offensive to them.

I've made a cross-stitch picture for the baby already and was thinking of maybe buying a few outfits as well, but if anyone has any other ideas of things that they found to be useful, but maybe something you wouldn't have bought yourself. Maybe something for when baby is 1ish. Thanks for any ideas!

canadianmom1974

Asked by canadianmom1974 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Shopping

• Def. clothes for the next size up. A new convertible car seat if they haven't gotten one already- she will def. be out growing her 'bucket' by then (can be pricey though). As a mother who had zero money when my first was born an awesome gift for me was the gift certificate to a photographer. It was one of the only times my son got professional pictures done. Little snacky foods like cereal puffs and Gerber gummies and such will start being on her menu soon as would sippy cups and every mother knows you can never have to many sippy cups. Age appropriate toys or a little above are a good idea to and not a waste. This mother may not be able to buy her new toys when she 'is ready for more toddlerish. Books are always good also.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I really like the gc for a photographer, and I never even thought of sippy's or things like that. Now I can hardly wait to go shopping (that and the fact that after three boys of my own, I love shopping for girly things!)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2009