How to punish a 4 month old who pooped when left alone?

Ok first!!!!

I'm talking about a dog :)

He pooped in our bathroom and left a huge mess!!! Poop everywhere! i'm glad he was locked in the bathroom! But anyways that's not a big deal to me, I just want to know the best way to punish him. He's a lab so remember he's a bigger dog. Anyone have advice?

i put this in the just for fun because I know the pets section isn't visited frequently. Hope it gave some of you a laugh when you found out I was talking about my dog!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I knew it had to be something! LoL. Well we have a boxer and in our boxer book it said up to a year old they will have accidents if not let out frequently. We kept him in a kennel so he would not potty till we took him outside. That worked pretty well. We let him stay out in the house now and don't kennel him anymore, but on very rare occasion. He did decide to test the waters a couple of times(once with pee and once with poop). He stuck his nose in it and spanked him and have never had an issue since then. He is one and half now and does not use our floor for a toilet. LoL. GL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Lol. I was expecting you to be talking about your baby!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 4:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Why would you punish for pooping? 4 months old. Get a crate and use that when you have to leave him. Don't leave him until you have taken him outside and give him ample time to relieve himself.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• He's a puppy and left alone, your fault! You have to teach him where to use the bathroom, and work with him everyday till he gets it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• No "punishment". First of all, make sure he isn't sick. If this is a normal occurrence, then your dog needs to start training again. Either crating, or, you better be home more often to take him out frequently. But never punishment -- unless you want a nervous, psycho dog!
    AislinnAsparas

Answer by AislinnAsparas at 4:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I am not a huge pet person, but I do know that dogs are like little children, they need trainning and lots of patience and love!
    kassynkayla

Answer by kassynkayla at 4:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If you didn't catch him, don't punish him. Putting his nose in the poop is wasted time. You have to confine him when you are gone and pay close attention to his signals when you are home. Basically, the dog trains you. He will not remember pooping 2 seconds after the act, so punishment makes no sense unles you catch him in the act.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009