Christmas!!! UGH!!!

So my brother in law and his wife have 4 daughters, EVERY YEAR for Christmas they SPOIL their children like no other! This year, they are getting their 9 yr old and their 11 yr old those notebook laptops, and they are getting their 2 yr old and their 4 yr old powerwheels... just to name the biggest things that they are getting them! FOR US, this year has been tough... my husbands work has slowed down A TON and my income pays the bills but doesnt leave much extra! We have had some expense emergencies come up and have used pretty much all of our emergency money! UGH!!! So we wont be able to go all out on our kids, ages 3 yrs and 6 yrs, for Christmas! My children have been pretty good throughout the year for the most part, so they know that Santa is coming... but how do I explain to my kids why their cousins are getting laptops and they are getting less expensive toys? when they have been just as good, if not better? HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How do I explain that Santa got them more expensive things and that he got my kids, a ton of little things?
    Anonymous

• The kids getting the laptops are older than your kids. That may have something to do with it. Also, Santa doesn't make the same toys for every kid, so they wouldn't get the same presents anyway.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I am bothered by Christmas this year too. We have no money to get gifts at all. We are two months behind on our car payment, and are barely getting by week to week. sigh....bah humbug.
    Anonymous

• This is how poor kids find out that santa is a myth.You get to explain why the richer kids get more stuff,and end up falling on your face!
    Anonymous

• I don't celebrate christmas thankgod, but for my kids through out the year when they want something we can't get for them at that time I explain that we don't have the money right now but maybe another time. They get lots of gifts all year long so they are not the least bit deprived and its a lot easier on us financially to get a toy here and there than have to get a bunch at once. Being honest and explaining that you can't afford to do as much as you want to would be best, kids understand more than you'd think.
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 6:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• IDK what to say but really are your kids that aware of prices...mine are not
    LuvingMy3Girls

Answer by LuvingMy3Girls at 6:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• As Annie says, "It's a hard-knock life," but you just have to keep living your life and take care of your children the best way you can and ignore what everyone else is doing.
    So what if the older cousins are getting notebooks?
    Teach your children about the gift of giving and love rather than teaching them that the theme of Christmas is to get the best gifts.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I always told my kids that I purchased the things that Santa brings for them. Personally I tell my kids it is not what Christmas is about, it is about family and love and caring. Bigger gifts don't mean bigger love! Keep talking to your kids they will get it. The most important things do not come in packages.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• The cousins are girls that my daughter looks up to, when one of the cousins was 8 she got a cell phone, my daughter asked me if she gets one when she is eight... I told her to ask her uncle for one! LOL
    Okay so what I finally decided to do about my starting issue was..... I talked to my daughter, I told her that Santa is having a hard time right now because he doesnt have enough toys for ALL the kids in the world, and that he wanted to know if she would be willing to share the toys that he was going to give her.... IT TOTALLY WORKED!!! She said that she would give all of her presents away if they were being given to a child that deserved them and didnt have any... Im soooo happy that my daughter is more into giving to another child than getting things for herself!!! YAY!!! That is what christmas is all about, GIVING, and being with your family and loved ones!!! Im soooo happy that this turned out the way that it did!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2009