6 weeks, move into separate sleeping area?

My 6 week old baby girl has been sleeping in our bed since we brought her home from the hospital. It seemed to help with my postpartum depression quite a bit. But now, I am just not getting the quality of sleep I need. I don't want her to sleep in her nursery yet, I want her with me (nursing mom). It's just easier than walking down the hall to feed her. But every time she goes to sleep, I give her an extra 20 mins (to get in the deep sleep phase), but when I lay her down, she still wakes up and doesn't seem to want to be away from mom and dad. Then sometimes she doesn't go to sleep. What do I do? Its too early to let her "cry it out" , but I need my sleep too. I have a pack n play w/ infant napping netting thingy. I also have a cradle, but she doesn't seem to like the rocking of that. I know, wierd! But it's true. Then I have the crib. But she doesn't seem to like any of them to sleep in, besides the bed.

BigBellyMom

Asked by BigBellyMom at 5:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was in a bassinet for the first 6-8 weeks... I wanted to get him in his crib asap (I know thats not what you want yet ) so I would put him in there during his naps and he eventually got used to it so I started putting him in there at night.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of co-sleeping devices that you hook to the side of the bed...so she is still in her own area but still close enough to you and hubby. I would just keep trying the bassinet though. My son gets like that sometimes...he's almost 4 months old and he is still sleeping in his bassinet in my room (because I am too attached to move him into his own room, we do have a pack n' play on the way though that I'm going to put him in instead) and sometimes he will be really restless...so I reach over and hold his hand or rest my hand on his chest...usually that helps him calm down and go to sleep. As far as letting her cry it out...I wouldn't do that this young. CIO is more for toddlers...not for infants. If she is fed, changed, and clearly tired, you can try laying her in her bassinet and seeing if after a few minutes of crying she falls asleep, but I wouldn't let her cry for more than 5 minutes.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Get a bassinet and keep it by your bed, that's what I'm doing with my 2nd daughter.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• To MommaRox: She doesn't want to sleep anywhere but literally IN THE BED. Crazy I know, but she cries hard core, unless in the bed.
    BigBellyMom

Answer by BigBellyMom at 5:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• to get my kids used to the bassinet, I would do 3 things. 1) I placed a heating pad under the sheet and warmed it lightly while I was nursing. 2) I would place a worn shirt of mine over the sheet. I would change it every couple of days. That way baby had a warm place to sleep that smelled like me. 3) swaddle, swaddle, swaddle. My kids liked it tight.

After they were ready to transition to their own room, I would do the shirt thing in the crib. I would also "practice" during the daytime naps. By the time I was ready for them to be in the crib, they were ready as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It's not crazy at all. We sleep where we are comfortable. A baby is most comfortable with mom and dad. They have a bigger need for love, attention, and skin on skin contact. Co-sleeping is wonderful and she knows that. If you need a little space, try a co-sleeper. It's like a little add on to your bed. Or if your crib converts, you can put it between the bed and wall.
    The heating pad idea seems helpful, but it's very dangerous.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Instead of a heating pad, throw a pillow case in the dryer while you're putting on her jammies. It'll be warm when you lay her down, which might help. We gave up trying to have "us" time before bedtime, and instead, I usually just wake up before the kids in the morning and just go to bed at the same time as them every night. If you sleep without a shirt on, it'll make for easier night nursing. I hardly wake up to nurse my daughter (9 months old), just roll over enough for her to get latched on and fall back asleep... I've been getting a pretty decent 8 hours for a few months now. :)
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 7:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009