what should my baby weigh at 30 weeks of gestation?

my ob wants me at 30 weeks to go for an ultra sound to decide wether or not my baby will be big or small due to my other 2 pregnancy with my daughter an son they were pretty big 8 an almost 10 pounds i want to be induced before 40 weeks if this baby will be big as well does anyone know if they can do that or i have to wait til im 2 weeks over due like i had to wait with my son wich ended up in a emergency c section so all that dialtion he didnt come down waist of time an he was just too big any advise any ideas would be great if you could let me know or even if you been through this?

ohmama213

Asked by ohmama213 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some doctors will induce for that reason. My daughter was measuring big at 36 wks around 6.5lbs. My dr recommended delivering her via csection 2 wks early thinking she would be around 8lbs plus. She was born 2 wks early at 8 3. If I would've went to 40 wks she would've been very close to 10lbs. Some dr's are against inducing tho.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• What is so wrong wiht a big baby? I just wonder why everyone is so scared. Being induced only increases your chance of a c-section anyway, so maybe that is why you ended up having one. I know plenty of people who delivered large babies and by no means is 8lbs large!!! My son was born at 37 wks (on his own) and weighed 8lbs and my girls were 10lb 2oz and 9lb 12oz at full term. It can be done, some doctors are rediculus, IMO.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I agree! Some doctors ARE ridiculous! I delivered my son when I was 42 weeks pregnant, was induced and had an epidural and my son was born vaginally with no complications! If you are worried about pain there are always options for pain relief. Do you have any books on prenatal care and education? What To Expect When You're Expecting is an excellent book for tracking the fetus's monthly growth and development. It tells you every month where the fetus should be at.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• There is no appropriate weight that a baby "should" be. Generally speaking, they gain about an ounce a day in the last trimester, so just under half a pound a week. "Too big" is a subjective term, but going on an average birth weight of 7.5-8 lbs, it would be about 3-3.5 lbs at 30 weeks. Just a guesstimation. But you have to keep in mind, too, that ultrasound measurements can be way off; they said my son was 9 lbs at 38 weeks, and he was born a week later at 8.5 lbs. The more interventions you have, the higher your chance of a C-section. Not to mention, a lot of doctors won't induce after a C-section because it increases your chance of uterine rupture, so you really need to talk to your doctor to decide if that's even an option for you, regardless of when it happens.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Should be right at 3lbs.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009