Do you think I may have to be induced?

I'm 37 weeks 3 days and I haven't dilated yet. I been feeling alot of period like cramping and I do see little floaty pieces of something in the toilet when I go to the bathroom ( sorry if TMI!!) I was wondering from you guys experiences does it seem like I may have to be induced or how did it happen for you?

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't worry about induction yet. You aren't 39 or 40 weeks yet. I know that you are uncomfortable and anxious. You may be losing parts of your mucus plug, but not being there, I cannot tell.

I am guessing that you will have an appointment next week. Ask your doctor or midwife. S/he should be able to give you much more accurate information than a stranger on here.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You can't tell anything yet. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• No, they aren't going to induce you right now, sorry, you just have to wait it out and let the baby do what it's got to do.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It's not uncommon for a woman to not dilate at all until actual labor day (especially in first pregnancies)...so I wouldn't worry about it now.

But for the record, I was induced for being a week over-due and it wasn't bad (of course I had the epidural).
    Anonymous

• They shouldn't induce you unless it's deemed medically necessary or you are past your due date. You are losing your plug and the cramps are probably minor contractions to get the cervix to dialate. As long as the cramps aren't majorly interfering with your daily routine I wouldn't worry much.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You don't *need* to dilate until you're in labor. Some women will walk around at 4 cm for 2 months, others at 0 cm until 42 weeks... and every other possibility.
    You won't need to be induced if you & baby are doing well, regardless of your dilation.
    BUT seriously consider declining future vaginal exams-- they are optional. And they will confuse you, give you unrealistic expectations, might make you feel pressure to *do* something... when you don't HAVE to.
    You will do something in time.

Many women never get checked at all. With my pregnancies, I never had prenatal vaginal exams.
    Many care providers never even offer.
    They know it's pointless, useless "information."
    Whatever is discovered, it ONLY says what the cervix is doing in this moment, not in an hour or a week.
    And it introduces bacteria and messes with your confidence.

You need to stay strong~ good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• with my first pregnancy my son was breech and I was not dilated at 38 weeks and 3 days later he turned and then overnight my water broke and I had him at 3 pm that day. You are only 37 weeks for goodness sakes give it some time.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It sounds like you may be losing parts of your mucus plug. A lot of people think that when you start losing your mucus plug, it means you will go into labor within a couple of days. THIS IS A HUGE MISCONCEPTION. A woman can lose her mucus plug and not go into labor for three more weeks. I think a lot of people confuse the mucus plug with the bag of waters. Hard to tell when you will go into labor and whether or not you will need an induction. I was induced at 42 weeks and my cervix was only dilated half a centimeter at the start of the induction! You just never know. I know you're sick of being pregnant, but this is something that there really is no telling. Just roll with the punches. If you become overdue, there are some home remedies that may help bring on contractions.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2009