how can i get rid of heartburn?

tie0013

Asked by tie0013 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Youre prego right? You can take Tums. If it doesn't help ask your doc and they can prescribe something stronger that is still safe for baby.
    Anonymous

• Ask your doc if you can use prevacid or mylanta or tums.

Maybe some one here has a more natural way of helping get rid of it.
    Anonymous

• tums helped me a lot. Everything gave me heartburn - oatmeal, bananas, even water. Tums were my friends.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Tomato sauce and tomatoes gave me terrible heartburn when I was pregnant. Tums will help. See if you can pinpoint what makes it bad and stay away from it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You've got great advice so far.

I'll just add, propping a bunch of pillows under you, so you're a little upright can help.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Papaya enzyme

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My dr said Pepcid Complete when I was pregnant, basically the same as Tums, but honestly for me it didn't work too well but I know it worked great for a friend.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Tums are ok in small doses. I learned the hard way by taking way too many for very severe reflux. I ended up with a very painful kidney infection :( I am now taking Zantac (Midwife suggested) and although nothing takes it away completely it is better. Also from experience, I tried everything to prevent it. At night by not eating after 7pm and sitting upright until I went to bed and I would still wake up (thru the night) and in the morning with heartburn. My mom told me to never let my stomache be completely empty because that causes the acid to build up. I have been keeping a plain cereal (like chex or cheerios) next to my bed and during the night I would take a few bites here and there, and I do actually feel alittle better!! I hope this helps, because I know I suffered way too long with this!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I did the baking soda and water thing a few weeks ago. It did the trick. There is a recipe for it right on the box. It doesn't taste very good but w/in ten minutes (and lots of burping) I felt much better and could sleep. It could have been a coincidence but I would give it a try.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I ate Tums. The peppermint flavored Smoothies were the best. It's a good source of calcium too :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2009