My daughter has these little red bumps all over her back and some on her shoulders and tummy so I took her temp.

Is 100.4 a normal temp rectally?

I took her temp because I read that is a rash is with a temp then she could have a viral infection. She has also been sneexing and has thorwn up a bit today. It is curddley and smelly not really like spit up at all.
I just dont know what to do. Please
She is 7 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Health

• Don't forget that when taking the temp rectally, you need to subtract a degree from the reading, so her temp is only 99.4. Nothing to worry about. She could have a viral infection. I would give her a lukewarm bath and see if she breaks out anymore. She could have had an allergic reaction to something that touched her skin. Wait a day or two and if she is still breaking out and the fever gets worse, then take her to a walk in clinic or urgent care clinic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Do they feel like sand paper? Scarlet fever? My DD had something similar last week her skin felt like sand paper. Dr. put her on antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• My best guess (and I am not a doc or nurse) is that baby has a slight viral infection. 100.4 is a slight fever. In our house we don't even medicate until 102 or above (1 of mine can run 103 without much of a behavior change.) I know it can be frightening, especially with baby's first cold or virus. Keep an eye on her and if the fever lasts more than 3 days, get an appointment. If you are still nervous, call the ped's office and speak to someone on-call, they will tell you how to treat the fever.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Sounds like a virus. There's nothing much to do except Motrin for the fever. It will run its course and then she'll feel better. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• A fever (and hers is an elevated temp at 100.4) and a rash warrant a call to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• It could be an allergic reaction to something!! If her breathing gets raspy you need to take her to an ER. My 12 month old has had two reactions. The first time it was her face, the second time it was her back and belly that had the red bumps and patches. She is allergic to eggs and a medication called Keflex. It might not be, but better safe than sorry. Also, you really should call her pediatrician because that sounds serious. The Dr should be available on-call.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 6:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I'd say roseola http://www.medicinenet.com/roseola/article.htm
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Yeah I'd say call the dr if you're that concerned. Better safe than sorry. It could be nothing at all, but it could be something.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009