how can i get my 1.5 year old son to sleep in his toddler bed?a.k.a big-boy bed? he screams and cries when i or my husband puts him in there.

holli114

Asked by holli114 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tell him if he wants a story read to him or told to him he needs to get ready for bed...put him in his pjs, brush his teeth, turn on his lamp or night light, and once he is tucked in it can be story time...let him know that when the story is over its time to go to sleep and if he wants to do it again tomorrow he has to be good and go to sleep. If he doesnt do good then no storytime tomorrow
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Is it the crib converted? Get rid of it. My kids did that with their converted crib and it continued until we just gave up and put them in a regular bed. (they went right to sleep the first time in that!)

Is the crib still in sight? Get rid of it. Out of sight, out of mind. He sees the crib and that is "his bed".

Don't change his routine at all...keep it all the same just put him in the toddler bed.

Other than that...I'm out of ideas.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I kept my sons crib up and also set up his big boy bed (it is a full size futon). During the day he gradually began to play on his bed and get more relaxed with it. He still had his crib to fall back on. For a few weeks we did naps in his bed and night time in his crib. After the bed was up for about a month we took the crib down- our son was in his room and helped with the demolition. The transition was pretty painless- once I stopped trying to force a huge change onto him before he was comfortable with it.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2009