Do you think your children are hard to raise?

I mean do you have a hard time with them daily? I need to get over my pity party I know a lot have it worse than me, what makes raising your kids so difficult? I'll go first, my baby doesn't sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kid doesnt want to eat meat , and he I have to sit in his room until he goes to sleep or he will cry.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I have twins with special needs. Instead of looking for people who "have it worse" than you, may I suggest looking for the good things in your child? Also remember a great many of the problems in infancy and early childhood pass much more quickly than it seems. Those that do not can be helped with parenting skills too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My oldest has Autism and has meltdowns (complete with yelling and swearing), my middle one is the 'drama-queen diva', and my youngest is very stubborn. My older 2 do not get along at all they fuss and fight. So yeah there are days that are quite a challenge. When my grandma was still alive I would call her all upset about what the 2 older boys did or how they were driving me nuts, she would laugh and say "Honey this too shall pass. Someday you will look back on this and laugh'. Now when I have 'bad' days I think of Grandma and I swear I can hear her whispering in my ear. She was right though, some of those moments I can now look back on and some even smile about.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• my son is very stubborn especially when it comes to bedtime... he screams almost every night despite routines... i just have to ride it out..(its been about a year now lol)

but i don't sit with him..because i know its not because he is scared or anything just knows he is missing out on something else.

hes a great kid, very smart , well behaved(mostly lol), funny and loving. Couldn't ask for a better kid.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My child was and is very easy to raise. He is well behaved, respectful and polite. I expected nothing less. Sure there are rough days and days that he isn't perfect, which is how I want it. No child is perfect and no parent should be looking at who has it worse or better. Take it one day at a time or one hour at a time and pick your battles.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It depends on the day. Most days my children are sweet and polite and I wonder how I got so lucky. But there are some rare days when I think, "Who ARE these spawn and what have they done with my children!?" ;)
    Anonymous

• My son has behavior problems that we are having to work with daily. Everything from melt-downs with self harm and kicking his door almost literally down over what i offered for snack to freaking out over us moving the furniture to clean the carpet. We are struggling to get a diagnosis so that he can receive help. Him receiving help means me receiving help as well. You think you would know how to handle your own child but then there are just days where it is just to hard. I know things will get better with time, age and help. Your troubles will get better also. The sleepless nights are temporary. :0) Yes things could be worse but I'm sure that there are things that are just perfect the way they are to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I have an 8 month old who's beginning to discover that when she doesn't get exactly what she wants when she wants, she knows that a tantrum and "attitude" (as much attitude as an 8 month old can have) will get our attention. So right now we're dealing with the whining and crying and stranger anxiety which seems to come and go.
    I've only recently, like the last 2 weeks, started to realize that me getting angry and frustrated myself will only make things worse, and then I feel bad and she's still whiny. It just works better to ignore the tantrum and be nice and distract her with something else and usually she gets over it fairly soon.
    I guess no one ever said parenting was going to be easy!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It depends on the day. I have days where I feel like they are difficult, but then I have other days where they are so much fun. It was harder when they were younger and I had less perspective. Now my oldest is pushing eight years old and it has gone by so fast... eight years ago I was walking the floor with him at night and thinking those days would never end... now he's a 'big kid' with his own interests, hobbies, ideas, opinions... and I wish I could go back to those baby days, just for one day! Every child has their challenges, but every child has their joys as well. You have to take one with the other. Sometimes if I'm especially frustrated I will go into their room at night and watch them sleep... something about watching your child sleep makes all the frustration go away. HTH a bit and things get easier!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My son doesn't eat....anything. He had some medical issues and eating is very difficult. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined a child who would litterally starve than eat. So I had to learn to let go and stop trying to force him to eat different foods he was not comfortable with. I learned to get comfortable with allowing him to choose off of his limited list. There is no hand book for when your child has a true psychological response to new foods as a result of medical issues. I really began to resent other parents who truly believed they knew better than me how to get him to eat normally. So at one point I let him stay a week with my mil who thought she could show me how it is done. The nurse versus the therapist. She's the nurse and I'm the other. Well all I can say is she has since stopped advising me on how to feed him. I do know it is very challenging for every parent to some degree.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2009