I had a tooth pulled on Wednesday and my face is swollen even worse today than it was yesterday. How long will this last and what can I do to make it go down?

teachermom06

Asked by teachermom06 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Health

• I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at once. My swelling progressed for about a week. Then it stopped and started going down.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Your face should not be swollen. Call your dentist. Until you can get through to him take some Motrin. You may have a dry socket.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Swelling is normal, don't listen to admckenzie. It can last up to a week, my neice was swollen for 9 days before it started going down. It does not mean dry socket. You can ice it and take tylenol & ibuprofen alternately (tylenol, then 4 hours later ibuprofen, 4 hours later tylenol, and so on and so forth). If the dentist gave you stronger pain meds that you prefer, then keep taking them. It's not an instant thing to heal from an extraction - I've had plenty done to know what it's all like!
    Anonymous

• Swelling is definitely normal, especially since you are only a few days out. I had a molar pulled a few years ago and I was swollen and puffy for a week and did not have a dry socket or infection. You just had a tooth pulled out of your jawbone. There will definitely be some swelling after that. If you are concerned, talk to your dentist. However, what the anon above me said is about right..
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2009