she's saying she's hungry but then says I don't want it, help please?

My almost 3yr old daughter tells me she's hungry, but when I bring food 2 her she shouts I don't want it and throws it on the floor. She barely eats anything all day, if im lucky she'll eat 2 very small meals a day. Sometimes she won't eat at all. What can I do?

Red_Mama0723

Asked by Red_Mama0723 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kid does this. The doctor said he will eat when he wants to, not to worry.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• just keep offering food to her and she will eventually eat when she's hungry enough. They go through spurts.

Also don't give her excessive amounts of milk or juice to make sure she's hungry enough for food.

i would limit her to 2-3 glasses a day and the rest water...that way she has an appetite come meal time.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Thank you
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It sounds like a power play thing- maybe she is picking up on your anxiety, and this is why the asking and then refusing. The throwing is not something I'd allow, even if I had to offer her a piece of finger food at a time so that if the threw the food it would be only one piece and not a plate of food.

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Maybe you're not giving her what she wants. But the throwing thing...wouldn't happen in my home!! Sounds like she needs to be diciplined!!
    Anonymous

• I've spanked her once for throwing the food, but I rarely spank her. Im trying not 2lto have resort to spanking but when it comes to this situation it seems like that's the only way she'll listen, there's has to be another way, the doctor says shes underweight so its really important that she eat
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2009