Gall Bladder Surgery and Breast Feeding-Who has experienced this?

I have just been told I will have to have my gall bladder removed after suffering from a severe attack and spending Thanksgiving night in the E.R. I have since done a bit of research on the surgery and what affects it will have on breastfeeding but I am curious if any other cafemama's have gone through this and can offer some insight based on their experience? Did you pump and dump and if so for how long? Did you resume BF right away? What meds did you take? Did you arrange to have the baby brought to the hospital or did you pump enough for someone else to Bottle Feed at home? Whatever insight you can offer would be much appreciated as I am SUPER anxious about all of this.

BelliesMami

Asked by BelliesMami at 8:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Health

• Your fine breast feeding normally. My doctor did the surgery through my belly button I forgot what that type of surgery is called. The day of your surgery you will be super drowsy so I would pump and store the night before. The day after your surgery your a little sore but, fine. They will give your perkisat (sp). The same strength as the ones they gave you when you had your baby. I didnt take mine you really dont need it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• i cant comment on the breastfeeding as i had mine out when i was 18 weeks pregnant (tried to wait but was a no go lol)

They gave me morphin for pain but i think that was partly to do with my bigish belly in the way.

normally its just a bit of morphine at first and then loratab for meds.

and its normally an in and out proceedure...as long as everythings good you should be home by the end of the day or the very next day.

I of course can't say anything else about BF...but i think the determining factors would be the anesthesia meds and the pain meds.

Good luck.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I've been there~! I was told, because of the medication that they gave me to put me under, I should pump and throw away 24 hours worth of milk after the surgery. I had the quick one, where they take care of it through the couple holes. If you have a chance before you go into surgery to pump any extra milk you can, do it!!!, and save it in the frezer...you may have to suppliment a little with formula to make up the difference during the first 24 hours of pumping and dumping.
    I was on pain medication, but took as little as I could handle. Please let your doctor and surgeon know that you are breastfeeding, and they will prescribe you medication that will least impact your breastmilk.
    Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:07 AM on Nov. 28, 2009