Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there another way to file for divorce without having to pay the inital $300

Its Christmas time and im broke, but need to get this ball on a roll. If I dont do it now idk if ill ever have to nerve to do it.


Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 8 (245 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I would get a lawyer, doing the filing and paperwork yourself is risky because it's not only complicated but you could leave something out that will bite you in the butt later on....and the filing costs and final costs usualy end up being roughly the same as the lawyers bill. You can call around and get free consultations from a few lawyers and get a price.

    Mine was $1200 which included filing fees and all fees for the courts. I never stepped foot into a court room. And my husband couldn't even afford a lawyer so he didn't even respond when he was served, which put it into "default" and I got everything I requested, including sole custody.

    My parents paid for half the divorce and the rest went on a credit card. But I first visited the lawyer in April of 2008 and on June 16th 2008....7 weeks later my divorce was final.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

  • If you have kids and need to deal with custody and child support, you really need to go with an attorney to make sure everything is legal and what is best for the kids. See if someone can borrow you the initial money or start saving.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • ugh this is so hard, but that would probably be the best way to go about it

    Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • a restraining order? but that only lasts for a while.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • lol i dont need a restrainging order... we still live together. I just need to get this done and over with!! ASAP

    Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • See if some will LOAN you the money, not borrow you the money. You would be the one to borrow it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

  • thats my plan but i dont know what to expect further into the paper work. i have not idea what the process is or the steps

    Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2009