Strabismus

My daughter has to go and see an ophthalmolgist. She has a slight crossed eye that has gotten a little worse since her 4 month appointment (she is 9 months now). Does anyone have any experience with this? What was the treatment and outcome? Thanks

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 8:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will probably get glasses and over time if not better, maybe patch therapy.

Anonymous

• My 3 year old son has lazy eye an is legally blind in that eye! he has to wear glasses an we have to put these eye drops in his eye 2 times a wk to try to help the bad eye the drops go in his good eye! we do that instead of the patch becaue he refused to wear the patch! if u have any other ? feel free to send me a message!
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 9:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Strabismus and lazy eye are two different things. I have one son with strabismus and one with amblyopia. The treatments are similar, though.

Strabismus is just the eye turning in. My son with this is able to have his crossing corrected with glasses. He's been wearing them since he was 3 years...he's almost 6 now.

Amblyopia (lazy eye) is the eye turning in and the brain not accepting signals from that eye...the vision is affected. My son with this had it pretty bad, in both eyes. We tried glasses with atropine drops and discovered he's allergic to the drops (that was NOT fun). We then went to patching, alternating because the patched eye would shoot over to his nose and not straighten until the other eye was patched. It became worse and he ended up with surgery on both eyes a week after he turned two. His case is not the "norm".

The earlier you catch either, the more treatable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2009