Can a child survive on milk and juice alone?

My DD, 8, has not eaten in 4 days. She isn't sick or anything it's a power thing I think. She is very angry over something between her father and I and has refused to eat until it's resolved. The thing is it's not going to resolve the way she wants it to. She is drinking 2-3 glasses of milk and 1-2 glasses of juice, orange mostly, along with water during the day. I know she will give in eventually but until then can she get sick or hurt by not eating real food? should I take her to the doctor or just wait it out? BTW she know we love her and all of that stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• You should call her dr and have them recommend a child psychologist to talk with her. This is dangerous and she is only 8...get her help to make sure things like this don't happen in the future. She can't do things like this when something horrible happens. hugs
    Anonymous

• i would take her to the doc. in the mean time put vitamins in her drink
    Anonymous

• She is going to end up sick. I would take her to the doctor and have the explain what will happen if she doesn't eat. Food should never be a power struggle. Nutrition and health are just too important to use it as a punishment or reward. If it is because her father and you are fighting over something, then for her sake,MAKE UP or pretend to so she eats. You need to do what it takes to get her eating again before she lands in the hospital because she is malnourished.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• OP there is no making up to be done. He left us kind of out of the blue. He gave her a hug and a kiss and walked out the door. he calls her every night but it is over. I knew it was coming but I didn't expect it like that and neither did she.
    Anonymous

• ((HUGS)) to your daughter. She is obviously having a hard time dealing with the fact that her dad walked out and left- and who can blame her? Try to get her to drink some Ensure or some other meal replacement shake. Call your doctor and ask for a referral to a counselor who can help her begin to process this loss that she is going through in a way that is healthier for you. You will both be in my thoughts!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Take her to the doctor
    Anonymous

• She is setting herself up for future of anorexia. Take her to the doctor and nip this in the bud.

karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I'm worried because she's had the will to go so long, I don't think she can do any serious physical damage but I would be concerned for her mental health. Have you tried just making the yummiest thing she eats or taking her to her favorite restaurant? I honestly am surprised her primal instincts haven't kicked in yet, she must be painfully hungry.GL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2009