Child abandoned at the casino

My brother works in an arcade at a casino. They do babysitting there because people used to just leave their kids in the car and gamble for hours. The woman brought her son in (about 5 years-old) and left him there. The kid got sick and they called her to come and get him. She didn't show up for 6-8 HOURS later! My brother has a son the same age and it upset him a lot.

How can someone disregard their child for the sake of gambling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I worked in a casino for yrs. as a dealer and table games supervisior.I have seen people park their vans and leave kids in the van until the next day. We are tought to report and or call the law fast if we see anything like this happening. When someone gambles and they win big it's a crazy rush for this person. It's worse that a drug. I have never gambled before because, I have never really seen a person win big and leave the casino's. Here on the coast of MS they had daycare centers open 24/7 now they are closed due to parents that gamble. Childern have been left for days end in the centers. It's really sad seeing people leave their childern in a dangerous places to gamble. As well as lossing their entire nest egg to casino's. Number one a casino could careless about this as long as they are making money and they are. I understand where your brother is coming from on feeling so bad for this child. This is a casino.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• IF I WAS HIM I WOULD HAVE CALLED THE COPS AND THE C.P.S ON HER !
    Anonymous

• Anon :57, that is exactly what he should have done. He doesn't know really what to do in those situations. He knew it wasn't right, but he doesn't know how to handle it. He's a good person but he has a hard time figuring out what to do.
    Anonymous

• goldielock, that is horrible! That's exactly why this arcade offers babysitting. Because otherwise parents would do a lot worse. It's not even a day care... it's an arcade. My brother doesn't have ECE credits. He's not a childcare professional. His last job was a Target and before that he was a custodian in the casino. It's a sad state of affairs.
    Anonymous

• These are gambling addicts. I would have called the police and let them take the child to the ER. They would have gotten the mom out of the casino

Answer by admckenzie at 10:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It is because they have a gambling addiction. He should have called the cops. That is also neglect on the mothers part when they called her and she came back 6-8 hours later. Some people do not deserve to be parents in my eyes.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2009