Anyone else hear about the baby einstein movie for babies under 2 have been recalled?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah I heard about it. Here's a site to why they are being recalled.

http://www.businesspundit.com/after-controversy-dinsey-issues-baby-einstein-recall/
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• thanks!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• not a problem...Personally I think it's stupid because my boys had the one that used sign language and they picked up a lot of signs from it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• What I want to know is why people thought they were educational in the first place. Sticking a baby in front of a tv is not going to make them smart, whether they watch puppets to classical music, a dissection of a frog, or snow. I'm not saying it's terrible, because some moms need to shower. :) I never used the tv to shower, but I knew plenty of moms that do.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I had my daughter watch them, I thought that it was educational.. everyone was telling me about them and praising how awesome they were~! Truly my daughter did pick up some of the sign language like Juggalette's child did; But I also helped with it, she didn't just "learn" from the t.v.! I also taught her repetitively with the gestures. I was shocked to hear about it though!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Well yeah you don't just just stick your kid in front of the TV and leave them there. We sat and watched it together and practiced the signs. I guess some people take things to drastic sometimes.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Dr. Linn is full of it. She obviously has a bug up her butt about Disney's hugely popular Baby Einstein series because she hates big corporations making a well-deserved profit.

She says it inhibits children from playing and delays language development. Well, my three year old gifted son who speaks in ten word sentences and plays in front of the TV just fine must be an anomaly. He had as many Baby Einstein DVD's as we could afford and watched them at least once a day since he was six months old. To this day he laughs with happiness whenever we pretend to put pepper on flowers and sneeze.

While my husband and I aren't stupid enough to think for a minute that the DVD's made our son smart, we certainly are smart enough to use a tool like learning DVD's wisely.

Anonymous

• Wow.... speaking 10 word sentences at age 3 makes a kid gifted? My son did that at age 2.5. What do you know... I've got my own little einstein. =P
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:07

Here is an example of what a typical three year old's sentences are like:

Use pronouns I, you, me correctly
    Is using some plurals and past tenses
    Knows at least three prepositions, usually in, on, under
    Knows chief parts of body and should be able to indicate these if not name
    Handles three word sentences easily
    Has in the neighborhood of 900-1000 words
    About 90% of what child says should be intelligible
    Verbs begin to predominate
    Understands most simple questions dealing with his environment and activities
    Relates his experiences so that they can be followed with reason
    Able to reason out such questions as "what must you do when you are sleepy, hungry, cool, or thirsty?"
    Should be able to give his sex, name, age
    Should not be expected to answer all questions even though he understands what is expected

And no, it's not just longer sentences that makes a kid gifted. <
    Anonymous

• Anonymous