False ultrasound sex?

I have a friend who had a baby today and through out her whole pregnancy they told her she was having a boy but she only had 2 ultrasounds but today when she had her baby it was a girl... Now im expecting a boy but have only had one ultrasound around my twentieth week im pretty sure it is a boy too because if not then she has a tumor between her legs lol, has anyone ever been told the wrong sex of their baby. Kind of scary.

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Scary how? The worst thing that can happen is you just need to buy some different clothing and bedding.
    Anonymous

• My parents were told that I would be a boy...But obviously Im not. Then again this was 20 years ago.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Nothing short of amniocentesis is 100%, though ultrasound is usually pretty reliable assuming they get a good view (and even if they don't, I would imagine the techs commonly feel pressure to provide a guess). You should always be aware of the possibility for mistakes.

Mine were both right. I had 4 ultrasounds with my first (one too early to tell, one at 21 weeks that predicted a boy, and two within a week of delivery, and they didn't check then) and 2 with my second (one too early to tell, one at 19 weeks that predicted a girl).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Scary because when u are someone like me and spent alot of money and things and am not really wealthy it would suck to have to go buy all the things over again and that wasnt my question i asked has this happened to anyone thanks!
    Casteel_chick

Answer by Casteel_chick at 9:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I was told between 22-24 weeks I was having a boy (my 3rd baby) and lo & behold she was a girl. Don't know how they messed that one up, but I'd played it safe and didn't go boy-crazy - we had a ton of neutral stuff already, so I bought just a handful of things - which we did end up using 2 kids later. A friend of mine from gradeschool & highschool was told with her first she was having a boy. Her cousin, who I also know fairly well, was due within a couple weeks, with a girl, also her first. Both of them went crazy, decorating the nursery in that color, had all kinds of gender specific things for their baby, etc - the babies came on the same day, and they were both wrong! I know, I know, sounds crazy, but I swear to God it's true! I know a few others who were told wrong too, and plenty that couldn't tell. Docs around here don't do numerous ultrasounds, just one around 20 weeks unless there's an emergency.
    Anonymous

• you know i would not be mad if i was having a girl not going to lie but my ultrasound pictures are pretty clear and i bought all boy looking things nothing neutral
    Casteel_chick

Answer by Casteel_chick at 9:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Most times the u/s is accurate... however I do know a couple people it happened to. One was told she was having a girl and then had a boy (after she had bought a whole lot of pink clothes too!) And one was told she was having a boy and had a girl. I guess you can never be one hundred percent sure until the baby arrives.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• well they should all tell you it's not 100% nothing in life is .. but if you get an u/s pic of testicals then thats like a 99% shot it's right if they think they saw a penis dont believe it always find the testies if that doesnt happen i wouldnt trust it
    Anonymous

• 12 weeks is to soon to tell the sex of the baby. It's not until the 16th week they can tell and they usually can't until the 20th. At least that's what I've always been told. Also, no doctor is ever going to tell your they are 100% sure. They get it wrong, even when they are 99% sure.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• yours is clearly a boy so i dont think you have to worry.
    jaimielyn2001

Answer by jaimielyn2001 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2009