how would you feel about this?

my mil has always showed favoritism over my neice than my kids. fine, whatever. but today i went over to her house and she had an xmas dress hanging up in the living room. i asked who it was for and of course my neice. i didn't have the gall to ask where my daughters' dresses were, but i know she didn't buy dresses for them. she also takes a thousand pics of her when she's around but barely any of mine and she doesn't see mine any more or less than she sees my neice. it makes me really jealous for my children, why can't their grandma love them all equally? what an ingrate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Life isn't about material things. Teach your daughters that and all will be well. My grandmother preferred my cousin over me. That was her mistake. My cousin grew up to be a drug addict who sleeps with and lives off her boss while I grew up to be an independent woman who made something of herself. Let the niece have the dress. Teach your daughters they are so much more than a dress up doll for grandma.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Let me guess her daughter's daughter right? IDK why MIL favor their daughter''s daughters, happens here too!! OH WELL DS IS THE ONLY GRANDCHILD MY PARENTS HAVE!! Guess where we spend Christmas LOL/
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• It is a shame. Hopefully the children won't pick up on this. If they do, then it might be a good idea some quiet time alone with your MIL to mention that your children's feelings are being hurt and they don't understand why the grandma that they love...and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Answered at 9:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 by: kimigogo
    Let me guess her daughter's daughter right? IDK why MIL favor their daughter''s daughters, happens here too!! OH WELL DS IS THE ONLY GRANDCHILD MY PARENTS HAVE!! Guess where we spend Christmas LOL/

YEP! My SIL's daughter. My MIL has one son (my hubby) and one daughter, her daughter only has one daughter and I have 2 daughters and 1 on the way. Maybe she feels that her daughter's daughter "belongs" to her more than her son's daughters. Idk but it's really irritating!!!
    Anonymous

• Maybe her daughter's daughter reminds her of when her daughter was young? I can see how that would be very hurtful for you. My grandmother had favorites among her grandchildren - I was not one of them. When I was young it really hurt me a lot. Now that I am older I understand more and I have gotten over it and then some. I realized that I loved her no matter what order I came in (she made very valiant effort to hide it, but somethings just can't be kept secret). In the end I was happy for her and my cousin that they had such a close relationship.

I think it's okay if one member of the extended family takes a special interest in a child. Maybe you can ask your mother to spend some extra time with your DDs. I was very close to my maternal grandmother and my relationship with her made things a lot easier when it came to my relation with my other grandmother.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Beckcorc you make a good point, too. My mother is VERY VERY close to my daughters. Her love extends beyond any reach of my MIL's love and kind of replaces it in a way. I'm an only child so those are her only grandkids. It's just hard for me, as their mom, to feel that they're getting treated unfairly.
    Anonymous