Would You Sue A Friend?

My fiance has been letting a "friend" of his do his taxes for the past 8 years. This year we moved into a new house and he filed for the Obama $8,500 refund. He went through the proper channels on what he was supposed to get the money. They told him he should get it back by Sept. It came and went and in Oct he called IRS to ask them what was the hold up, they told him that they sent it to him mid oct come to find out the tax guy put HIS account number on it and it went into HIS account!! He claims he didn't realize it b/c he was waiting for his house money too (which i think is a lie) but he would transfer over whatever he had left which was a whopping $3500. Now it's Dec (tech in 2 days) and he keeps calling the guys asking for the rest and he gives excuse after excuse on the issue. I told my fiance i think he's lying and you need to take him to court, but he's afraid of burning a bridge over money. What would you do?

Mommy2life

Asked by Mommy2life at 9:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• That is a form of identity theft and I would take him to court. Burn a bridge over money, understandable if it was only like a thousand bucks,but its more than that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• At this point, I wouldn't consider him a friend anymore, in which case there's no bridge left to be burnt. The "friend" took care of that one already. So what have you got to lose?
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I would report him to the IRS

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Report him asap. You have rights gf.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• trust me I KNOW what I would do but he's being way to nice on this matter. IT just don't add up to me at all. The guy claims he put his account & my fiance's account number on the papers b/c he wanted to make sure h got his tax fee of $100 and the rest should have went to him, but that's not how IRS saw it. They sent it all to him and he thought it was his b/c he "claims" he moved into a house this year too so he filed around the same time as my fiance thinking it was his. I think and know that's a lie!! Out of 7+ years of doing his taxes you dind't trust him in paying you you fee?! nothing is adding up to me i told him he needs to take him to court..... but he's so sold on "burning bridges".... i'm not as nice on the matter of now $5,000... it's a lot of money to just be so nice about.
    Mommy2life

Answer by Mommy2life at 9:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• DragonRiderMD
    At this point, I wouldn't consider him a friend anymore, in which case there's no bridge left to be burnt. The "friend" took care of that one already. So what have you got to lose?

Exactly!!
    And hell yes, I would sue! $5000 is a lot of money!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 11:24 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Are really sure he has been doing your taxes properly this whole time? He stole from you now, what makes you so sure he hasn't done it before? You need to report him. That is fraud.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• This matter is between him and his friend. Maybe he values his friend of 8 years more than money. Just try to stay out of it and let your bf decide on this matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2009